My first lager... puzzling events (with pics)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timo21

Reaction score
Ok so I have googled the $#!^ out of my question/s and still can't find the right answer even though it sounds like a simple one and I know I am gonna get some heat for bringing up the whole "my airlock isnt bubbling dude!" but I gotta do it.... heres what I did: Thought I would make a lager since it is cold here right now and why not? havent done a lager before. I pitched it way too warm at about 73f and let is sit at 64f for a couple of days (bubbling pretty good at the time) when I got the bright idea to put some frozen water jugs into the 60 liter bin filled with water that holds my fermenter. So I have had it at a consistent 12c/53f for a week now but there is no krausen, no bubbling, and some weird chunky stuff on top...

Did I stun the yeast? is it hibernating? is it fermenting? what is reeeaaallllyyy going on? Is it even possible for it to turn out alright after dropping such drastic temperatures? And the person at my LHBS said it would be fine to pitch dry without a starter but after reading other posts it sounds like a starter is a must with a lager, so confused...

IMG_0579.jpg

IMG_0580.jpg

IMG_0583.jpg

Did you check it with a hydrometer?

That's really the basis of the heat you're gonna get.

I hear that yeast doesn't like wild temperature changes but that doesn't mean you are stuck.

The stuff floating looks like yeast rafts to me.

Have more information? like your recipe and what yeast you used?

The first 48 hours of fermentation are most important. If you fermented a lager yeast at 74F for that long, it's bound to be pretty doggone estery! Also, it may have just fermented out already. I'm on my first lager (brewing for 10 years) as well- I pitched at 48F, let it rise to 53F where it fermented for 6 days, and just raised the temp to 60F for a d-rest. It took nearly 2 days for the yeast to take off... and that was with a 4.5L starter.

The stuff on top is totally fine. Cheers!

Yeah I just used "Premium Lager yeast" and a Morgans "golden sheaf kit" with LME wheat malt and 500 grams of dextrose

I just pitched my first lager on a gallon starter and it looks similar to yours. I'd say it's doing what it's supposed to. Lager yeast is a bottom fermenter so it may look odd

How do you get your pitching temp down to 48? Do you chill with a wort chiller then chill in a fridge/freezer till it reaches 48 and then pitch? ......A gallon starter! Do you need to have one that big for a 5 gallon batch or are you doing more?

topmalt said:
How do you get your pitching temp down to 48? Do you chill with a wort chiller then chill in a fridge/freezer till it reaches 48 and then pitch? ......A gallon starter! Do you need to have one that big for a 5 gallon batch or are you doing more?

Yes, I chilled the wort to 68F (as low as it would go using an IC during Fresno Summer), then put it in my ferm chamber overnight to let it chill more. Then I pitched.

Believe it or not, I've been told my gallon starter was too small...

I did a lager for my first beer without realizing all the nuances to doing so. I, like you, pitched my yeast (1 vial of liquid, no starter) around 70 degrees. The beer sat at 70 degrees for about 24 hours before I found out that I was doing it all wrong. Ended up putting it in a cooler with frozen water bottles. It took about 4 weeks to fully ferment out. I tasted it along the way and it tastes fine to me. It's currently in the fridge lagering away at 34 degrees.

I think the best advice I can give you that people gave me along the way was to rely on your hydrometer to know if fermentation is done or not. Taste the beer along the way and just give it time. Chances are everything will turn out fine. Oh and I've also taken everyone's advice and will be using a starter for the first time with my next brew, seems like that is the best way to go. Cheers!

From what the process you described, it sounds like you did a lot of things incorrectly that you can improve on for your next lager. I strongly recommend that you do not attempt another lager until you have you some solid control over your fermentation temps.

1) Pitch your yeast at fermentation temperatures.
2) Pitch the correct amount of yeast to achieve #1. Refer to Mr. Malty for yeast starter volumes if you're using liquid yeast.
3) Aerate the hell out of your wort.
4) Hold your fermentation temperatures consistently throughout fermentation.

Pitching at fermentation temperatures ensures that your yeast will not produce heat derived off-flavors. Pitching the correct amount of yeast ensures that your fermentation will start quickly.

Having wild temperature swings and fermenting at the temperatures you described is going to result in a beer that has a lot of off-flavors. Lagers require a lot more attention to yeast health and conditions than typical ales.

nordeastbrewer77 said:
sounds like it was way warm and probably finished up pretty quickly. Checking the gravity is really the only way to know what's going on.

+1

The stuff your seeing at the top is krausening and left over protein from the fermentation, there is a good chance your yeast is still working. lager yeasts are less vigorous and somtimes dont produce much or any krausening head. there is no need to pitch a gallon start for a basic lager (with 1.050) even then higher still doesnt require a bigger starter. your beer looks to be fine, you will most likely experince, high levels of esters, and possible diacteyl that will scrub out with age. take a reading with your hydrometer and record the number rule of thumb 2 weeks should be sufficent for a lager if your in doubt check, this is why your preboil gravity, fermentation is so important, you can account for changes or uncertainty.....after all that "Keep It Simple".

Back