my first high gravity beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grrtt78

Reaction score
OK so this will be my fifth beer and by far the highest gravity. i want to make an irish style dry stout (i prefer sweet but this is for saint patricks day) and i want to keep the alcohol somewhere around 7% and keep the gravity fairly high and make it a dry stout but not too dry. here is my recipe so far but there are some holes i need filled in:

Steep grains at 175 for one hour:
Roasted Barley-1lb
40l crystal malt-.25 lbs(i want to keep it from being too dry. good idea or lose it?)
Black Patent malt-i think i want this but i dotn kno how much
Chocolate malt-this would make it too sweet right?

Malt extract:
8-9 lbs pale lme-(too much?)

hops:
East kent goldings-2 oz-60 mins
East kent goldings-.5oz 20 mins

Yeast:
Not sure, any ale yeast that can easily hit 7% abv

Basically i need some holes filled and i want to know if iwill hit 7% abv and have a good tasting dry stout. Thanks in advance!

I've made the mistake of using too much black patent before so be easy with it, maybe a 1/4 to 1/8 lb. Its mainly for color.

grrtt78 said:
doesnt black patent add a bitter taste as well?
That's what I've heard, but amazingly, I used 1/2lb in my oatmeal stout and it came out pretty well.

I'd say go maybe 1/4lb black patent, and 1/2lb chocolate, and use the darkest crystal you can get. 8-9lbs of LME should get you pretty close to 7% alcohol.

You could also use Target hops for bittering.

As for yeast, you could use Nottingham dry or White Labs #WLP013 London Ale. The Nottingham has better attenuation, which means lower FG and higher alcohol content, but the London Ale adds a lot of complexity to the flavor.

Oh, and chocolate malt won't add any sweetness at all. Be careful of the total amount of chocolate, roasted barley, and black patent you use, though; a pound of roasted barley is quite a bit.

Back