My first gusher...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sumone

Reaction score
This confirms my suspicions that this batch got infected. It was supposed to be a BASS clone but somehow ended up at 11% ABV. Its been sitting in bottles for about 2 months now. I pulled this one out to find black stuff floating around inside. Popped it open and it just started fizzing and foam came rolling out. Its not horrid but far from good or even ok...going to let it sit for a few more months and see what happens

black stuff floating around in bottle:
AB4EA5A8-D50F-41A8-A2B8-B37E56F43F20-1875-00000089E142A50A_zps113c4424.jpg

23119F5A-C43D-4A45-8F0B-3FB78AFEF30B-1875-00000089E679B619_zpsea13db61.jpg

it looks pretty in the cup lol

9E5C8255-4EA1-4FB5-A21F-B00071ECABBE-1875-00000089FA68D2C1_zpse680d933.jpg

Better be careful you're not creating bottle bombs. If it's gushing out of the bottle, after letting it sit for a few months you might have explosions on your hands.

Other than being very alcoholic, any other bad tastes or smells? Black stuff really looks like sediment or hop material. Possible it was overcarbed/ the CO2 didn't fully dissolve?

Better be careful you're not creating bottle bombs. If it's gushing out of the bottle, after letting it sit for a few months you might have explosions on your hands.

Oh I havent thought about that. I have some left over plastic bins from when I moved. Ill store them in that with the lid tapped on...

Other than being very alcoholic, any other bad tastes or smells? Black stuff really looks like sediment or hop material. Possible it was overcarbed/ the CO2 didn't fully dissolve?

All of my beers so far have a very distinct off taste. This one is even worse, I can taste the hops a little but mostly its a taste that I cant describe. I want to say its sour and very puckering. I drank the whole glass trying to pinpoint it but so far haven't been able to.

Want to give us a run down of your recipe and procedures for this one to see if we can help locate that off taste? Especially temps, and timeframes for everything

Want to give us a run down of your recipe and procedures for this one to see if we can help locate that off taste? Especially temps, and timeframes for everything

I will once I get home. It was my first partial mash BIAB so I'm sure I made lots of mistakes. I can tell you that I was fermenting on the hot side of things. I had a temp probe on the carboy and it was reading 70-72*... I'm in the process of finding a freezer to convert into a ferm chamber before i brew again.

Back