My first go at a no-sparge session Irish Red...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rolly

Reaction score
This is my first stab at a sessionable, malty irish red with low bitterness. I will be doing this as a no-sparge for simplicity. Any suggestions or comments?

Type: All Grain
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal
Boil Time: 60 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Mash: Single Infusion 60 min at 153F

Ingredients
7 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 1 84.4 %
12.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 8.4 %
4.0 oz Special Roast (50.0 SRM) Grain 3 2.8 %
2.0 oz Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM) Grain 4 1.5 %
2.0 oz Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM) Grain 5 1.5 %
2.0 oz Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 6 1.5 %
0.75 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.80 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 7 16.1 IBUs
1.0 pkg Irish Ale (Wyeast Labs #1084) [124.21 ml] Yeast 8 -

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.042
Est Final Gravity: 1.010 :mug:
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.2 %
Bitterness: 16.1 IBUs
Est Color: 13.1 SRM

I'd take out either the Chocolate and up the Roast Barley to 4oz. I'm also worried that 4 oz will make it darker that what you want, although that isn't a huge deal. You could add it at the end of the mash to color the wort but minimize the roastiness it would leave if you mashed with it the full time. Depends if you are shooting for a Killian's Irish Red color, or a more of a Smithwick's.

I'd also recompute the recipe for 60% efficiency if you are unsure how your batch efficiency is going to be. Its easier to deal with an OG overshoot than an undershoot. If you stick with the 70%, be sure to have some DME on hand just in case.

plumbob said:
Up the biscuit malt... Then again I can't get enough of that stuff.

I think I'll increase the biscuit to 4oz.

So 2oz chocolate and 2 oz roasted barley should be okay? That gets it to about 13 srm.

So 2oz chocolate and 2 oz roasted barley should be okay? That gets it to about 13 srm.

I was just saying it you could probably simplify your grainbill by upping one and getting rid of the other. I don't think having both is necessary.

wildwest450 said:
You're probably not going to get 70% efficiency with no sparge.

_

I get about 85% with a single batch sparge. Last time I did a no sparge it was 70%. I've got a crankandstein mill.

Latest posts

Back