My first foam experience! NOW I undertand!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slipgate

Reaction score
I set a full keg of IPA in the closet for 6 weeks or so. I didn't realize it, but I must have had residual fermentables in the beer because when I went to hook it up, there was a LOT of pressure in the tank. I popped the relief just a bit to see if the keg was still pressurized like I always do but didn't release all the pressure and then hooked it up to the gas. The remaining pressure coming out of the keg was still over 15 psi! So just for fun I hooked up the liquid side and tried to pour a pint. 100% foam! I have NEVER had a foaming issue ever with my kegerator.

So instead of setting it for serving or force carb level, I vented all of the gas and set the regulator for around 3 psi. 2 days later and the beer is MUCH better. The foaming is almost back to normal and the beer tastes just about properly carbed. I think it needs another day or two of regular venting to bring the carb level down to perfect.

So I think most of you that have foaming issues are over-carbing your beer.

There are alot of factors that can contribute to foaming: over-carbing, short hoses, shaking the keg.

Back