My first fermentation explosion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chadkarol

Reaction score
Oops. Probably the highest gravity batch I've done so far at 1.075 and first time using my new stir plate. Yeast starter went all over the place and also my fermentation.

image-2379084144.jpg

Blowoff tubes will save you enormous headaches. I only use airlocks for secondary, and I only secondary for dryhopping and for my meads.

My very first batch was in the basement. The morning after pitching, I was asleep on the second floor when the lid blew so hard that it literally shook the floor above. My ex wife heard/felt it but, unfathomably, did nothing. I discovered it a couple of hours later and couldn't believe she didn't AT LEAST wake me up!

Shakybones said:
Blowoff tubes will save you enormous headaches. I only use airlocks for secondary, and I only secondary for dryhopping and for my meads.

Yeah. Going forward will use blow off tubes. Just weird. Been brewing for years. Have always heard of it happening to others but never me. Until now.

Been there done that!!

This is after cleaning up.

After I hooked up the blow off tube, I could have used the pitcher for my next starter.

2012-08-06 05.25.15.jpg

2012-08-06 05.25.55.jpg

spent the day clean up today my self not sure why but this happens to me almost on every batch .. not the explosion yet but the big mess and I use a 6.5 carboy with blow tube 3/8 and air lock.

We always use a blow-off but had our first volcano on an IPA last weekend. Used a stir plate and starter with two smack packs. In hindsight probably over did it on the yeast but was impressive to witness.

Seems to be a right of passage.

Chris

I'm currently having a small volcano... Transferred into Carboy with some fruit purée for secondary fermentation... Thing was going nuts so I just split it into two parts >.> still wasted some beer and time

Boooooo,,,, Hisssssss!!! That was nothing, that's what it looks like when things go well for me. I wanted a picture of you mopping the walls.

My very first batch was in the basement. The morning after pitching, I was asleep on the second floor when the lid blew so hard that it literally shook the floor above. My ex wife heard/felt it but, unfathomably, did nothing. I discovered it a couple of hours later and couldn't believe she didn't AT LEAST wake me up!

Key word here being "ex". :)

Boooooo,,,, Hisssssss!!! That was nothing, that's what it looks like when things go well for me. I wanted a picture of you mopping the walls.

Yeah, I know. Mine seems pretty minor now compared to others. Never happened to be before, so sort of caught me off guard. I have a feeling though if I didn't check it before I left for work and let out some pressure, it would have been much worse later on.

Latest posts

Back