My first can of Busch in twenty years...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sebastian Weetabix

Reaction score
I have enjoyed home brewed and craft brewed beer for the past twenty years. I loaned my golf cart trailer to a “friend” and was repaid with a case of Busch.
Remember the good old days when you had your first Miller High Life? You know, you were maybe nine or ten years old?
You get stupid ripped and sobered up inside twenty minutes!
Took me right back there!

Good times. Good times.

A couple years ago was at a cookout with several friends and I decided to try a drink of my ex wife's sisters Miller Lite.
WOW - I had forgotten just how watery macro lager is. Stealing a line from Ron Theroit... "I can't decide if it is water pretending to be beer, or beer trying to be water".

A couple years ago was at a cookout with several friends and I decided to try a drink of my ex wife's sisters Miller Lite.
WOW - I had forgotten just how watery macro lager is. Stealing a line from Ron Theroit... "I can't decide if it is water pretending to be beer, or beer trying to be water".
Be glad it wasn’t Coors!
That stuff is just water with a uti.

Eh, I never did like miller lite. I'll still drink the hell out of Busch light though. Its what most of my friends still drink and used to be my go-to. Coors/keystone was nice and cheap, but it was never my favorite and I got super burnt out on it when we would take a pallet of it to music festivals.

A few years ago I was golfing, it was over 90 degrees and I was walking the course. I never drink and golf but that day I bought a giant can of MHL from the cart girl on the 13th hole.

It was ice cold and delicious! I think there was something with it being cold and the weather being over 90. I'd do it again under the same circumstances.

I was a Bud Light drinker from the first time I tried it waay back when it first came out in 1982. I drank that till well into my 20's before I had my first craft beer at a place called Fox River Brewing in Wisconsin. We were having dinner at their restaurant, and I kept seeing the waitress serving people this red colored beer. I was intrigued by that, so I ordered one (it was Fox River Fox Tail Amber) the first drink... wow...what the hell... this actually taste good.
Never looked back.

I've had plenty of them in the past, especially during beer softball games, as it was either that or Labatts as nobody would spend any more than rock-bottom price for the beer :D

Busch isn't bad, as long as you're drinking it ice cold on a hot day. Molson Golden has been my personal go to lately as far as store bought goes. Blasphemy, I know. I'll go flog myself with some hops bines wrapped around a few strands of barbed wire now. 🤪

Busch isn't bad, as long as you're drinking it ice cold on a hot day. Molson Golden has been my personal go to lately as far as store bought goes. Blasphemy, I know. I'll go flog myself with some hops bines wrapped around a few strands of barbed wire now. 🤪

I like Molson and Heineken. But my go to is Foster's big ol can nice and cold put two down while I mow. Zip tie the mower on so the neighbors don't try to talk to me while I stand and drink.

New house needs a tractor cup colders or its a no go.

I like Molson and Heineken. But my go to is Foster's big ol can nice and cold put two down while I mow. Zip tie the mower on so the neighbors don't try to talk to me while I stand and drink.

New house needs a tractor cup colders or its a no go.
I used to drink the hell outta Foster's back when I was in my 20s. Haven't had any in years.

I kinda like Bush for a macro beer. I buy it as a fridge filler and as stated above, 90*+ after work you can throw the first one or two down in no time. It's a shame to waste good beer for something you're not really tasting any way. If given a light/lite beer, that's got to go down fast, for me the last 1/3rd is tough to swallow. I haven't found a "light" beer yet that I would buy unless no other choice. Truth be known I kept Old Style as my go to until it's demise. Not to long ago I was treated to some Grain Belt, I'd buy that if I could find it where I live. It seemed to actually have a "nutty" flavor. If you see it, give it a try if you're not to proud.

Joel B.:mug:

Not to long ago I was treated to some Grain Belt, I'd buy that if I could find it where I live. It seemed to actually have a "nutty" flavor. If you see it, give it a try if you're not to proud.

Joel B.:mug:

Grain belt is good stuff. These days, it is owned/operated by the brewery across town from me (august schells). I'm not a huge fan of the blue label light beer, but the original red label and the nordeast are both fantastic. A lot of folks here enjoy the blu (blueberry lager) as well.

My goal once I get everything worked out for my system is a nice american hoppy light beer fermented with English yeast. Something about a burp after drinking something with a decent amount of hops. Sorry if thats gross.

@OP sorry for the thread hijack.

I'd probably take a Busch over the other macrolites. I remember preferring them for some reason, but haven't had one in years probably. I remember reading that Hamm's wound up scoring high on a blind taste test (against other other macro lagers) by craft enthusiasts. I'd like to try one. Folks might laugh, but it was actually "Killian's Irish Red" that started to broaden my horizons beer wise. I still have a soft spot for that stuff.

Kinda also on the "evil" St. Louis brand list was the Michelob family of "crafty" beers. I can't remember all of them (there were several) but I think their Dunkel Weisse was my "gateway" beer. Damm them! :rolleyes:

Joel B.
:mug:

I' I remember reading that Hamm's wound up scoring high on a blind taste test (against other other macro lagers) by craft enthusiasts.

Here's the article where Hamm's was #1:
https://www.chicagotribune.com/dining/craving/ct-macro-beer-tasting-food-0712-20170706-story.html
They came up with a 5 point scoring system:

How the beers fared
Hamm's
(Miller Coors) 4.5
Miller Lite (Miller Coors) 4.3
Pabst Blue Ribbon (Pabst Brewing) 4.3
Keystone Light (Miller Coors) 4
Old Style (Pabst Brewing) 4
Coors Banquet (Miller Coors) 3.7
Coors Light (Miller Coors) 3.7
Busch Light (Anheuser-Busch) 3.5
Michelob Ultra (Anheuser-Busch) 3.5
Miller High Life (Miller Coors) 3.5
Budweiser (Anheuser-Busch) 3.3
Busch (Anheuser-Busch) 3.2
Bud Light (Anheuser-Busch) 3
Natural Ice (Anheuser-Busch) 3
Schlitz (Pabst Brewing) 3
Icehouse (Miller Coors) 2.7
Scores are averages of panel rankings on a 5-point scale. Beers tasted are the top sellers in the U.S., except for Hamm's.

Here's the article where Hamm's was #1:
https://www.chicagotribune.com/dining/craving/ct-macro-beer-tasting-food-0712-20170706-story.html
They came up with a 5 point scoring system:

How the beers fared
Hamm's
(Miller Coors) 4.5
Miller Lite (Miller Coors) 4.3
Pabst Blue Ribbon (Pabst Brewing) 4.3
Keystone Light (Miller Coors) 4
Old Style (Pabst Brewing) 4
Coors Banquet (Miller Coors) 3.7
Coors Light (Miller Coors) 3.7
Busch Light (Anheuser-Busch) 3.5
Michelob Ultra (Anheuser-Busch) 3.5
Miller High Life (Miller Coors) 3.5
Budweiser (Anheuser-Busch) 3.3
Busch (Anheuser-Busch) 3.2
Bud Light (Anheuser-Busch) 3
Natural Ice (Anheuser-Busch) 3
Schlitz (Pabst Brewing) 3
Icehouse (Miller Coors) 2.7
Scores are averages of panel rankings on a 5-point scale. Beers tasted are the top sellers in the U.S., except for Hamm's.
Yep! That's the one. Interesting read.

I
Kinda also on the "evil" St. Louis brand list was the Michelob family of "crafty" beers. I can't remember all of them (there were several) but I think their Dunkel Weisse was my "gateway" beer. Damm them! :rolleyes:

Joel B.
:mug:
I forgot to mention that Amber Bock was another one of my gateway beers. I actually grabbed one while we were touring the Death Star in St. Louis last year and truly enjoyed it. (By the way, we had a lovely time touring Budweiser, and the folks there were amazing. It's a great add-on activity to going to a Cardinals' game. )

Busch are rare now days... oh, sorry, I was thinking of "bush". That was a close shave.

While in high school friend's uncle worked as a delivery driver for Natty Bo (they apparently also handled Bud, Busch, et al). Anyway, we'd get cases of beer for $1.00. Woohoo! We were are p*ss beer heaven.

Back