My First Briskets

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Man, these were good. I'm SOLD!

IMG_04962.JPG

IMG_05214.JPG

Looks great! What run do you use? In my next competition I am using a rub consisting of 3 cups of Plowboys Bovine Bold combined with 1 cup of sugar to get a nice bark. I am also using Butchers BBQ Injection mixed with beef stock.

Looks great! What rub do you use? In my next competition I am using a rub consisting of 3 cups of Plowboys Bovine Bold combined with 1 cup of sugar to get a nice bark. I am also using Butchers BBQ Injection mixed with beef stock.

I always make my own rubs. Usually chili powder, garlic, kosher salt, paprika, pepper, brown sugar, ground mustard powder (this one I just smeared with normal yellow mustard).

I rubbed the non-fat side of these briskets, but not the fat side. I also made the executive decision to smoke them fat-side-up.

I don't know anything about injecting. Might look into that. Thanks.

I rubbed the non-fat side of these briskets, but not the fat side. I also made the executive decision to smoke them .

I smoke mine fat side up too, but I will score the fat criss-cross with a knife and smear with yellow mustard and put rub on both sides. Here's my rub recipe if you like one with a little heat to it.

Spicy Brisket Rub

4 Tablespoons Kosher Salt
4 Tablespoons Paprika
1 Tablespoon ground black pepper
4 Tablespoons Turbinado Sugar
1 Tablespoon McCormick's Ground Chipotle Pepper
1 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
1/2 teaspoon Ground Cumin
1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
1 teaspoon Onion Powder

I smoke mine fat side up too, but I will score the fat criss-cross with a knife and smear with yellow mustard and put rub on both sides. Here's my rub recipe if you like one with a little heat to it.

Spicy Brisket Rub

4 Tablespoons Paprika
1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
1 teaspoon Onion Powder

the criss cross idea is a good idea :mug: might have to try that

Spicy Brisket Rub

4 Tablespoons Paprika
1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
1 teaspoon Onion Powder

Thanks. I'll be making these again soon. I'll try this.

BTW, how much do you guys pay for your briskets. I paid about $5.50 a pound.

so how long and how low do you cook them Ed? I was gonna tackle my first brisket this weekend on my BGE..

I use a Pit Minder E-Temp from BBQ Guru and smoke em at 210 till they reach 195 internal. This takes about 2 hours per pound of brisket, so I average 14-15 hours.

The pit minder lets me do other things while my brisket or pork butt cooks to perfection.

I use a Pit Minder E-Temp from BBQ Guru and smoke em at 210 till they reach 195 internal. This takes about 2 hours per pound of brisket, so I average 14-15 hours.

The pit minder lets me do other things while my brisket or pork butt cooks to perfection.

Thanks! The DigiQ was my first purchase after buying the BGE.. ;-) I use it every time.

wow, I guess I am lucky, I found a spot where I can get USDA choice packers for 1.99/lb and the last one turned out fantastic.

There is a huge difference between a trimmed brisket flat and a choice packer. The flat is all meat with about 1/4 inch fat cap. Well worth the difference in price. No sense paying for all that fat only to trim it off.

There is a huge difference between a trimmed brisket flat and a choice packer. The flat is all meat with about 1/4 inch fat cap. Well worth the difference in price. No sense paying for all that fat only to trim it off.

Yea, I got the flats. You can see how trimmed they were (the flat at the top of the pic really had too little fat).

Ed, I respectfully disagree with you. The judges sure love those burnt ends that come from the point in your turn-in box. Unless you can purchase a point by itself, you are forced into a full packer. I also respectfully disagree on the fat being up. It's a myth the the brisket actually absorbs all that fat in the fat up orientation. Thats why there are brisket injections. Most competition cooks go fat down because your heat source is usually underneat the meat (except in a reverse flow stick burner like a Lang) and the fat protects the bottom of the brisket so it cooks more evenly.

Ed, I respectfully disagree with you. The judges sure love those burnt ends that come from the point in your turn-in box. Unless you can purchase a point by itself, you are forced into a full packer. I also respectfully disagree on the fat being up. It's a myth the the brisket actually absorbs all that fat in the fat up orientation. Thats why there are brisket injections. Most competition cooks go fat down because your heat source is usually underneat the meat (except in a reverse flow stick burner like a Lang) and the fat protects the bottom of the brisket so it cooks more evenly.

To each his own. In my BGE, I have a ceramic mass underneath my drip pan so heat is indirect. The fat cap keeps the brisket moist throughout a 15 hour cook without the need for basting or mopping or wrapping in foil.

I used to compete and have trophies, but the darn eggs are too heavy to haul around these days.

The main reason I like flats is cause they fit better in my egg. Sometimes I can get 4 of them in there at one time which comes in handy for Christmas Briskets. :mug:

I used to compete and have trophies, but the darn eggs are too heavy to haul around these days.

I agree with you on that. I broke my first BGE at a contest. It fell out of the trailer when removing it. After pleading with my wife for a new one the BGE is relagated to the back yard only. We cook on either a Lang 84 Deluxe stick burner, Swicewine Insulated Box smoker or WSM's depending on the contest and how many team members are coming.

I put the fat side up because I had the bottom of the brisket protected by the tin and juices, so might as well put the fat up and protect the top too. When I do pork shoulders I go fat down because I don't use the tin.

Latest posts

Back