My first brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What yeast are you using with this brew.

Fermenting at 70F is probably a little high unless you are using a belgian yeast. To high of ferment temps can cause the yeast to produce excess phenols, esters and possibly fusel alcohols.

What yeast are you using with this brew.

Fermenting at 70F is probably a little high unless you are using a belgian yeast. To high of ferment temps can cause the yeast to produce excess phenols, esters and possibly fusel alcohols.

Looks like American Wheat to me, if I'm reading the labeling correctly on the smack pack. You'll be fine at 70F... it'll produce a lot of banana/clove esters. That's a good thing if you're doing a German/Belgian weiss but it's not style appropriate. However, I'm sure you'll get a delicious beer. Congratulations!

EDIT: Actually looks like Wyeast #1010, so yeah it's American Wheat. BeerSmith says it's good to 74F, which is where you're probably actually at considering the heat of yeast activity (usually adds 3-5 degrees.) You're golden

Kobayashi ? Isnt that the evil guys right hand man from the usual suspects

anyone making a redfoot ale or verbal kint wheat

Looks like American Wheat to me, if I'm reading the labeling correctly on the smack pack. You'll be fine at 70F... it'll produce a lot of banana/clove esters. That's a good thing if you're doing a German/Belgian weiss but it's not style appropriate. However, I'm sure you'll get a delicious beer. Congratulations!

EDIT: Actually looks like Wyeast #1010, so yeah it's American Wheat. BeerSmith says it's good to 74F, which is where you're probably actually at considering the heat of yeast activity (usually adds 3-5 degrees.) You're golden

Yeah, it's a Wyeast 1010 and the website says it is good from 58-74 degrees. I thought about moving it down to my basement but it is all unfinished cement and will likely drop well below 58 degrees at night. Do you think that 70 is too high to ferment at for a wheat?

I thought about moving it down to my basement but it is all unfinished cement and will likely drop well below 58 degrees at night.

That should actually work just fine. Wrap your bucket/carboy in a sleeping bag or something else insulated. Fermentation activity should keep it at a proper level

Do you think that 70 is too high to ferment at for a wheat?

Nope, like I said before it'll be just fine as long as you're okay with banana/clove esters

Thanks for the advice. I am now wishing I had kept it downstairs at the cooler temp as I am getting some wicked blow off. Temp went down to 68 overnight so I am going to keep all the blinds drawn to try and keep the room temp down as much as possible. Hope it doesn't come out too much :ban:

I fermented my first batch at about 95 degrees. I didn't know about fermentation temp control. Your beer will be fine.

Eric

Reviving this thread as it marks my 10 year anniversary as a homebrewer! The Facebook link no longer works (I don't even have an account anymore) but it was 10 years ago today that I brewed my first batch.

That first beer didn't turn out so hot but I stuck with it, and am glad I did. This has been an incredibly rewarding hobby for me. I have learned a ton and met some awesome people along the way. Thanks to everyone here on HBT, as this has always been an amazing resource.

Unfortunately, I won't get a chance to brew today but I will certainly be having some homebrew to honor the occasion!

Cheers!!

Back