My first bottle bombs!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

opqdan

Reaction score
I found my first bottle bombs yesterday. Am I part of the club now?

Luckily, it was only a root beer, and not a real beer. Otherwise, I would be weeping now (my ESB is happily fermenting away).

I think that it was a combination of root beer having tons of sugar, and the bottles being stored at a high temperature (air conditioner has not been installed yet). I opened the closet and wow, what a smell. I guess 3 or 4 bottles had burst and drained their liquid, which then kept fermenting, aided by all sorts of wild wee beasties.

I was amazed at the fragmentation of the bottles though, I expected pieces, but not a fine dusting of glass particles. I guess it takes a lot of pressure to burst a glass bottle. I eventually decided that the whole batch was probably going to go, so I started popping the tops off of the unexploded bottles, boy were they gushers. I ended up covered in root beer.

Being the genius that I am, I always bottle condition my beers in a cardboard yeungling box inside those clear plastic boxes with snap on lids. This kept all the liquid (and the explosions) contained, so clean up was fairly simple.

Unfortunately, we had made this root beer from scratch: sassafras, sarsaparilla, wintergreen, star anise, vanilla, juniper berries, ginger, hops, molassas, sugar, honey. Fortunately, it tasted terrible so it was no huge loss.

Homemade soda has to be stored near freezing temperatures, there's just too much unfermented sugar when you bottle it. The only alternative is campden or some other yeast killer.

david_42 said:
Homemade soda has to be stored near freezing temperatures, there's just too much unfermented sugar when you bottle it. The only alternative is campden or some other yeast killer.
My first root beer actually conditioned fine at room temperature, but at that time (couple months ago) the room temperature was a lot lower than now. I think I am finished with my forray into root beer making. I probably won't try again until I have a kegging system and I won't have to bottle condition it.

I made a ginger beer on Sunday, most of my soda's take 2-3 days to carbonate. For whatever reason, I had bottle bombs as well, in less then 24 hours. What soda I could salvage was tasty though, if a bit over-carbonated. The soda had much more sediment than usual, my guess was that this was the reason for the explosions.

Sounds like Gyser bottles rather than bottle bombs. Bottle bombs produce shrapnel. Gysers foam out most of the contents. Was that universal with your whole batch or just a few? I had a pilsner that was gyser and like yours a lot of sediment. After two more weeks, it all settled down though. More time seems to correct most problems I have had like that. My impatience is my enemy. I want to drink my brew before it is ripe.

what is the time frame for bottle bombs?
my barley wine was bottled in april and is conditioning in the rec room at about 68degrees.
the pet tester bottle is extremely rigid:D and when i poured a sample last week from another bottle i got 2/3 glass of foam.
do i need to break out the body armour?

Genghis77 said:
Sounds like Gyser bottles rather than bottle bombs. Bottle bombs produce shrapnel. Gysers foam out most of the contents. Was that universal with your whole batch or just a few? I had a pilsner that was gyser and like yours a lot of sediment. After two more weeks, it all settled down though. More time seems to correct most problems I have had like that. My impatience is my enemy. I want to drink my brew before it is ripe.
I only popped the rest and got gysers because I was afraid of them blowing up too. The ones that exploded did throw shrapnel (luckily contained), and the inside of the box was coated in a dusting of fine glass particles. I guess that they blew up Monday sometime, which puts it at a little over 24 hours after bottling.

just checked my bottles of barleywine again.

you know the little indent your capper puts in the centre of the cap?

mine are now outies instead of innies!

i am moving the bottles onto a cement floor in a rubbermaid tub to be safe

rod said:
just checked my bottles of barleywine again.

you know the little indent your capper puts in the centre of the cap?

mine are now outies instead of innies!

i am moving the bottles onto a cement floor in a rubbermaid tub to be safe
Good call on that. I am glad I did it. Make sure it has a lid too, because it looks like they throw quite a bit of glass. You probably don't have to worry, but might as well be safe.

You could gently pry the lids off, so as not to deform them, and vent the over pressure then put your capper back on and re crimp the seals.

yes- i did that saturday afternoon, i tried 6 bottles friday night to make sure they would re-seal. - it worked fine

Back