My first bochet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pendragon524

Reaction score
I finally took the jump and made my first bochet.
  • 4 lbs. Wildflower honey
  • 1.25 gallons of water
  • Lalvin 71-B
  • Fermaid-O
  • GoFERM
  • OG: 1.095
It’s also my first time following a staggered nutrient protocol. I cooked the first three pounds of honey, and was shocked at how much it expanded as I boiled it. For most of it I was just stirring roiling foam. Also, it took a lot longer to caramelize than online tutorials suggested; it took me an hour to get a deep amber, and I cooked the fourth pound by itself for an hour to get a deep coffee color.

Anyway, I’m really excited to see how this stuff tastes!

Nice, I've brewed Bochets tens of times.
The caramelising of the honey is actually quite tricky, goes very slow for a very long time and then can turn from great to burnt in moments. Last year I had to pour 10 litres down the sink as the very bitter burnt taste I got was not aging out at all. After that I usually avoid going too far.

I think the secret to bochet is NOT the color of the honey, despite what self styled experts spout on Youtube. It's about the temperature of the honey. Beyond 230F you are burning the honey. And you can begin to caramelize the sugars in honey at about 160F... but for some reason people want to burn their honey so that it takes on the appearance of burnt toast. Not many people I know enjoy burnt toast. Bochet is all about temperature.

Nice, never gave it much thought but it's intuitive: the residual water in the honey keeps it cooler than burning as it boils into steam, but as water diminishes the honey's temperature rises rapidly (and the colour follows suit), hence the small window between great and burnt.

Agree with everythng said above.

I tend to go to 155 Deg F (Same temperature I use for making English Toffee.)

I think the secret to bochet is NOT the color of the honey, despite what self styled experts spout on Youtube. It's about the temperature of the honey. Beyond 230F you are burning the honey. And you can begin to caramelize the sugars in honey at about 160F... but for some reason people want to burn their honey so that it takes on the appearance of burnt toast. Not many people I know enjoy burnt toast. Bochet is all about temperature.
Another valuable piece of information that I would have never known had I not joined this forum. I've been wanting to try a bochet, but, was worried about the cooking process & possibility of overcooking the honey. This forum is a treasure chest if knowledge for me😁.

Last edited:
In that case, how long would you cook the honey at 160F? The only way I know to keep track of the level of caramelization is by examining the color; the darker the color, the more caramelization. Is that not correct? I hope I didn't burn my first batch haha!

Can only speak for myself , but I would cook the honey only for as long as it takes to hit the target temperature. Depending on how large the volume of honey and how large the kettle or pot you are using to heat the honey and how you are heating this the top , bottom and middle may be at significantly different temperatures unless you stir and if you heat over a high flame or burner the bottom may be scorching long before the top hits the target temperature. Honey has a high thermal mass. I tend to cook my honey in my oven or in a slow cooker. In both cases I have a thermometer with an alarm that I use to keep track of the temperature. But in any event, you must , must use a pot which is at least three times higher than the height of the honey. After you have evaporated off all the water the heat can make the honey expand furiously and trying to scrape off hardened caramelized honey from your stove or oven is not a job for anyone who shares their kitchen with loved ones...

Agree with @bernardsmith I use an instant read thermometer with an alarm as well and do stir it occasionally. Also use a slow cooker a 20 Quart Electric Roaster for a gallon of Honey. It provides much more even heat with a lot less likelihood of scorching but takes significantly longer than in a pot on a burner.

Can only speak for myself , but I would cook the honey only for as long as it takes to hit the target temperature. Depending on how large the volume of honey and how large the kettle or pot you are using to heat the honey and how you are heating this the top , bottom and middle may be at significantly different temperatures unless you stir and if you heat over a high flame or burner the bottom may be scorching long before the top hits the target temperature. Honey has a high thermal mass. I tend to cook my honey in my oven or in a slow cooker. In both cases I have a thermometer with an alarm that I use to keep track of the temperature. But in any event, you must , must use a pot which is at least three times higher than the height of the honey. After you have evaporated off all the water the heat can make the honey expand furiously and trying to scrape off hardened caramelized honey from your stove or oven is not a job for anyone who shares their kitchen with loved ones...
Thank you, @bernardsmith, your feedback and guidance are always appreciated!

Last edited:
Back