my first blow off, and other stuff

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crayphish

Reaction score
brewed our first set of 'big beers' yesterday. my brew was morebeer.com's imperial porter kit. according to the instructions this beer should finish around 13.5%. everything went well, pitched our rehydrated yeast at 70 degrees and low and behold this morning things were going quite well, so well in fact that the airlock was filled with wort and the bucket was minutes from becoming a bomb. so after carefully releasing the pressure and cleaning things up i replaced the airlock with some foil over the top because things seemed like they were going to be going a while. the question i have is how long would you guys leave this in the primary & secondary? and how long can expect the vigorous fermentation to last, ive read that the foil covered airlock is safe when vigorous fermentation is going, but i want to get the rest of it back on ASAP for peace of mind.

Your probably fine, but you could hook up a blowoff tube for some extra peace of mind. Once the fermentation appears to be dying down, you can put your airlock back together, ot leave the blowoff hooked up the whole time.

As far as racking to secondary, wait for the krausen (sp?) to drop, wait a week then rack to secondary for conditioning. Or wait two/three more weeks after that and carefully bottle or keg. The point of racking to secondary is to help it clear and condition. Both can happen in the primary also.

Back