My first Beer Smith Recipe.... Please Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poorboy2011

Reaction score
Well, I did my first Altbier kit last weekend and will rack to carboy tonight to let it sit at 55 degrees in the basement for a couple of weeks before bottling...so I need a new batch for this weekend.

I'm using beer smith and here's what I'm shooting for....a nice wit/hoe clone. tell me what you think I need and or don't need. This is extract only but after this round I will start doing some mini or partial mash kits.

I boil 5 gallons at a time and use an imersion chiller.

3.33 pilsner lme
3.33 wheat lme
.75 goldings east kent 60 min
.25 crystal 10 min
.75 oz of coriander seeds 5 min
.75 oz orange peel (bitter) 5 min
White labs belgin wit ale yeast

I would also like to steep some grains with this reciepe but I'm not sure what if anything to use?

My first thought is, why not use all wheat LME? Wheat extract is actually ~50% wheat, so you're down to ~25% wheat. It isn't wrong to do it your way, but just so you know.

Wits generally don't have much in the way of steeping grains. At most, use a light crystal (20L?).

.75 oz. coriander sounds like a lot to me...that stuff is very light. But I'll defer to others. I've used Coriander before but usually think in terms of teaspoons, not weight.

Thanks. All wheat LME gets the color really dark and out of the style of a wit according to beer smith.

I think you're spot on with the coriander though...I think I entered the wrong mesurement. What do you think it should be for a 5 gallon batch...time also.

Coriander: maybe a tablespoon? For all I know, that's .75 ounces. Adding at 5 minutes seems right.

BS is crazy, wheat extract is around 3L not 8L. go with all wheat and add half late to keep your color light.

for steeping, crystal 10/20 or honey malt would be ok. flaked oats, rye, or wheat are other options too, but they really need to be mashed.

Back