My first batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mmckeeha

Reaction score
So i got a homebrew kit for xmas this year, and even though i have to get on a plane at 5 in the morning i decided to start my first batch of homebrew. It is an amber ale.... my point is my fiance is staying home during my little excursion down south and I didnt know if it would be a bad Idea for her to open the fermentor once a day so I can see the progress of the brewing process. also another thing I was wondering is would it be a good or a bad idea, after brewing a batch, before bottling, I add the primer to my brew bucket and let it prime there while I work on the bottled beer and bottle it after I finish all of the bottles so I have a continuous supply of my homebrew.

my point is my fiance is staying home during my little excursion down south and I didnt know if it would be a bad Idea for her to open the fermentor once a day so I can see the progress of the brewing process.

That is not a good idea. Could lead to contamination. Just take a gravity reading at the beginning and if you are that impatient check it in a week at the earliest. everytime you open the bucket you risk contamination and/or bad things getting into your brew. Just be patient lol. If you NEED to see whats going on use a glass carboy.

also another thing I was wondering is would it be a good or a bad idea, after brewing a batch, before bottling, I add the primer to my brew bucket and let it prime there while I work on the bottled beer and bottle it after I finish all of the bottles so I have a continuous supply of my homebrew.

I'm not sure but I don't think this would be the best idea. It would be far better to just get more bottles. Ask some people who drink beer that have no screw on caps or ask some bars if you can buy the empties from them for $.10 Thats what i did.

So i got a homebrew kit for xmas this year, and even though i have to get on a plane at 5 in the morning i decided to start my first batch of homebrew. It is an amber ale.... my point is my fiance is staying home during my little excursion down south and I didnt know if it would be a bad Idea for her to open the fermentor once a day so I can see the progress of the brewing process. also another thing I was wondering is would it be a good or a bad idea, after brewing a batch, before bottling, I add the primer to my brew bucket and let it prime there while I work on the bottled beer and bottle it after I finish all of the bottles so I have a continuous supply of my homebrew.

You add the sugar right before you bottle it. Priming with sugar and then allowing it to ferment for the second time for 2 weeks adds the carbonation and must be done in the sealed bottle.

Does that help?

You can't carb beer in a typical fermenter if that's what you are asking. You have to add the priming sugar right before you bottle.

What earwig said. You cannot carbonate in the bucket..The carbonation takes place in the bottle after it is capped. Mix the beer and priming sugar in a sanitized bucket, mix it up without sloshing it around (you dont want to add oxygen at this point) and then bottle and cap. Let sit at 70-75 degrees for carbonation to take place. The longer it sits in the bottle the better it will taste..

Back