My first batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikechi

Reaction score
I currently have 2 batches going, both have been in the primary for 3 days.I have a IPA and a wheat.I am thinking about adding cherry to the wheat and wanted to get some thoughts on this and I am open to suggestions if you think another route may be better.The yeast used in this wheat is WLP300 Hefeweizen Ale Yeast.

Thanks for any help

Pasteurize the cherries yourself before adding them, and make sure there is enough room in the fermenter for both the cherries AND the resulting restart of fermentation. I added raspberries to a wheat beer once, got the wort about 2 inches from the neck of the carboy, and it blew yeast all over one corner of the basement.

That yeast will produce pronounced banana and clove depending on ferment temp. I personally wouldn't because they flavors may become muddled. My opinion though. I'm not big on fruit beers because to me they are like all you can eat pancakes. There's only so many pancakes I can eat.

Cheers

add the fruit after primary fermentation is over. this will help preserve the aroma and flavor of the fruit. let the beer sit on the fruit for a month. also use either real cherries or real cherry juice with no preservatives in it. i would suggest using the juice because you don't have to worry about losing more beer to the fruit trub.

If you are going to add fruit, I do it in a secondary. Also if you can find Oregon fruit puree, it is quality stuff and already pasteurized.

Back