My first amber ale was a little...what went wrong

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lminor72

Reaction score
Aloha from Hawaii...

New to the forum, but I've already learned alot.

My first batch (aside from 3 gallons of Mr. Brew my mother-in-law got me) was an Amber Ale (malt extract, cracked grains, hop pellets). I got the recipe from my LHBS and followed it to the letter, EXCEPT for not topping it off to 5 gallons.
It was in primary fermentation - 10 days.
Bottle - 10 days.

The result was a pretty stout/strong brew, good amber flavor, but it seemed a little syrupy. I enjoyed it; friends who appreciate heavier dark beers enjoyed it too. My Coors light drinking friends were scared of it. The ABV was high (I didn't measure it, but I could tell).

My question: What happens if you short your batch...meaning I mis-read my bucket and only brewed 4 gallons of what should have been a 5 gallon batch??

Thanks in advance...

Minor
sends

In general, I believe that everything will just come out more concentrated. The malt will be thicker and darker, the alcohol will be stronger, and the hops will be more bitter and aromatic.

I figured that, but was curious what others might say...maybe get some "ah-haa" answer.

Thanks.

Minor
sends

Nice work, and welcome to the forum!

What bernerbits is exactly right...due to making 4 gallons instead of 5 you've got a lot more hops, malt, and alcohol in every bottle! Not necessarily a bad thing either...just call it your Imperial Amber Ale when you give it to friends. Nice work on scaring your BMC friends :rockin:.

10 days in the primary and 10 days in the bottle is not enough time. For an amber ale, it should have been in the primary at least 2 weeks, 3 - 4 would have been better. And then 2-3 weeks once it is in the bottle.

definitely heavier in alcohol (higher concentration of sugars in lower amount of liquid.)

that being said, i agree with tankard. Everything smooths out with age. If you used a secondary after the 10 days for another 10 days and then left it 4-6 weeks in bottles, it would be a much smoother brew ;)

if you have more bottles, let them sit for a few weeks at room temp...you'll see.

10 days in the primary and 10 days in the bottle is not enough time. For an amber ale, it should have been in the primary at least 2 weeks, 3 - 4 would have been better. And then 2-3 weeks once it is in the bottle.

Yes....leave them at 70 degrees for another 2 weeks and see if they don't taste better...you are drinking really green beer...

Read this and enjoy the snazzy video...

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=54362&page=11

This what I am doing with my amber. 2 weeks in primary and just finishing up my fourth week in the bottle.

As a rule of thumb I leave everything in the Primary for 3 weeks and bottle age for 4 weeks.

And while I'm waiting I brew more.

While I agree 100% that you want to let the brew age in the bottles for a few weeks to help develop the flavors, I don't think leaving it the primary for 3-4 weeks is really needed. I've found that aging is aging, in the bucket or in the bottle. Unless you have a lot of particulate floating around, a secondary is not a necessary step. Especially if you are doing extract and specialty grains. It just complicates your process.

Throw a couple six packs in the closet, or under the house and let them mellow for a couple weeks. You will notice a definite difference in the taste of your brew. Be careful of high temps, I know it can be hard to get good temp control in Hawaii, but try to keep it under 72 F.

Cheers! :mug:

Back