My fermenter spontaneously shattered... did I mention it was full

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daze

Reaction score
That sucked!!! I was looking at the different wines and ciders I have going and I pulled a gallon of apricot off the shelf to see if it was still bubbling and how well it was clearing. The wine had been going for a couple of months and was almost done fermenting. The SG a few weeks back was down to 1.000 and even though there were still a few bubbles rising to the top it was just starting to clear. As I went to set it back on the shelf I tilted it slightly to get the airlock past the lip of the shelf above and the jug disintegrated in my hand.
broker.jpg

I didn't smack it against anything, all I did was tilt it slightly. My only guess was there was a defect in it from when it was made or a small crack or chip had formed last time the bottle was washed. I always inspect them before I use them but maybe I missed something.

Took me over two hours to clear off all the shelves and clean up the mess. I adjusted the height of the shelf above so I can more easily pull gallons in and out, but even as it was set up before it never should have happened. As I moved stuff around I was treating all my other gallon jugs, full and empty as if they could shatter at any moment. I know this is unfounded as these jugs are designed to hold a gallon of liquid and be tiled and moved but it only takes one shattering in your hand to make you a little leery. The worst part was the wine smelled FANTASTIC!!! so as I cleaned up the mess I was reminded the entire time of what a wonderful wine I had just lost :(

you don't by chance pickup the carboy by that little handle ever? That could put a lot of pressure on the top part where it seems to have cracked apart.

There is a small bubble-like thing in the glass of one of my carboys... I suspect I should throw it out, but its worked fine for 4-5 batches so far. I fear it too may spontaneously fall apart.

you don't by chance pickup the carboy by that little handle ever? That could put a lot of pressure on the top part where it seems to have cracked apart.

I do, that is what the handle is there for. This jug was originally a 1 gallon cranberry juice jug and that is how it is designed. The handle is there to help you hold the top as you pore out juice or when carrying the jug. After this experience I will be supporting all the jugs from the bottom as well as the top from here on out, but it still shouldn't have happened.

I do, that is what the handle is there for. This jug was originally a 1 gallon cranberry juice jug for one time use and that is how it is designed. The handle is there to help you hold the top as you pore out juice or when carrying the jug. After this experience I will be supporting all the jugs from the bottom as well as the top from here on out, but it still shouldn't have happened.

I added the tiny bit of information you forgot about ;)
yeah and also glad that the only loss was the wine... just that is more than enough heartarch for any day :)

I had a gallon jug spontaineously crack and I wasn't even touching it. It was full of fully fermented mead in secondary with an airlock in a 68 degree house. It was aging, so it hadn't been touched in weeks. I happened to be standing near it when I heard a noise that sounded like cracking glass. It had cracked all the way around where the sidewall met the base of the jug. I picked it up carefully and it stayed together. Just when I started thinking I would be able to save it, the bottom fell out. Luckily, it lasted long enough for me to get it over a bucket.

Major Suck, Daze! Glad you didn't get cut up by any flying glass.

I gotta call Shenanigans on the one time use thing though, Mattd. There was definitely a defect in the glass, but glass makers don't make "single use" products.

I gotta call Shenanigans on the one time use thing though, Mattd. There was definitely a defect in the glass, but glass makers don't make "single use" products.

Sure they do, most of my beer bottles have "non-refillable" embezzaled on them. But really as you say glass should be able to be resued many, many, mnay times over and it's only a liability thing ;)

Dang! I'm glad you didn't get cut up

thanks guys!! no cuts at all. Weird part is it only broke in to 5 or 6 pieces and none of them were small. It didn't explode or shatter it just sort of came apart and dropped to the shelf. The whole thing was really strange

when you get a glass carboy make sure it is double blown, single blown carboys are cheap and worthless, if you look at your carboy and it has two layers of glass its double blown or also called inside out glass blown, dont ask me how I know so much about glass...hehe

I once had a gallon Demi john explode on me. ...Don't wash glass with boiling water and then rince them with cold. :p

Dicky

when you get a glass carboy make sure it is double blown, single blown carboys are cheap and worthless, if you look at your carboy and it has two layers of glass its double blown or also called inside out glass blown, dont ask me how I know so much about glass...hehe

This being a store bought juice jug, it was only a single layer of glass. interestingly enough it was almost 1/4" thick at the top and only about 1/16" thick near the bottom.

My cousin ran a restaurant, they had hot sauce in 1gallon glass. Almost every time someone lifted one by the handle, the bottom would fall out per say. When he gave me some of the empties that was the first thing he told me. "Do not lift them by the handle or you'll have a mess to clean up".

yea it probably thinned out when they blew it or they did it intentionally, not all glass is made by hand though, either way it obviously wasnt made well, always buy the thickest glass you can.

Back