My failed keezer hump

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fofusak

Reaction score
I'm finally ready to public shame my own DIY skills, or lack of them. Ok, no, my lack of planning.
It all started when I purchased my first house. I was going to finally move out of the apartment and have space for kegs! (I hate bottling with all my soul)

I found a very nice resource in this forum with CAD about different chest freezer internal sizes and keg sizes. I deemed that I'd be able to very snugly fit 4 kegs down and one on the hump above the compressor. I made my decision and quickly bought a freezer on Black Friday.

Awesome! what's next? I got my kegs and fit them all inside the freezer and I measured the one on the hump and went on to home depot and checked the sizes of wood available there. I could either go for a very close (but fits, right!?) one, or go over to the next size which seemed very comical to me at the time. So off I went and bought the smaller ones and I built my collar.
Time to keg. Cleaning one keg vs 54 bottles? Amazing! Keg inside? Check. Keezer closes? check.
Now it's time to tap the keg!

What is this????
The corny QD sticks higher than the keg handle? What kind of moronic thing is this!??
After a lot of cursing I found the culprit: I never measured my final intended use, which was a tapped keg.

Happy sitting keg:
https://ibb.co/TcJMGmz

Damn you tall quick disconnect!
https://ibb.co/kXZvDh2

My failed keezer:
https://ibb.co/5nFQt5q

Now, I don't want to build a new collar and dump that one. I could add more weather strip to the top of the collar and gain some artificial black-foam sponsored height for my QD.

I could also shave bits of insulation from the top lip for the disconnects to fit in there along with a bit for the hose to go sideways and down.

Can you wise folks devise a better plan than either of those?
Thanks!

edit: I know, please don't mind all the hoses, I accidentally yanked my distributor and haven't got to attach it again :)

You could try cutting some of the rubber off the bottom of the keg, may or may not work.Good Luck

You could try cutting some of the rubber off the bottom of the keg, may or may not work.Good Luck
Yes, this might actually work. In fact I have always a carbed water keg in there. That means I always have a keg in there that doesn't move and always gets water. I'll look into how much I'd need to cut and if its feasible.

Thanks

Just build a little mini collar and attach it to the top of your existing collar. Make it a different color of wood, or paint it, so it looks very intentional. If you don't tell people it wasn't intentional they will never know. Sure beats cutting your kegs.

Before you toss the already built collar, I have an idea for you. Find out how much height you need and add some trim pieces on the top of the one you built. You might be able to pick up some molding that will raise it up just right and would dress it up.

Before you toss the already built collar, I have an idea for you. Find out how much height you need and add some trim pieces on the top of the one you built. You might be able to pick up some molding that will raise it up just right and would dress it up.
This might work very well... I actually want to change some trims, so I could sand and use those!

Converted pin locks are shorter than true ball lock kegs that would buy you some space. Having extra kegs can come in handy at times.

I built my collar low on purpose, I put 3 gal kegs on the hump.

I did have to build my first collar twice. I cut the wood and got side tracked for a while. When I got back to assemble it the wood had dried and twisted so badly nothing would fix it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Converted pin locks are shorter than true ball lock kegs that would buy you some space. Having extra kegs can come in handy at times.

I built my collar low on purpose, I put 3 gal kegs on the hump.

I did have to build my first collar twice. I cut the wood and got side tracked for a while. When I got back to assemble it the wood had dried and twisted so badly nothing would fix it.
The metal QD arrive on Tuesday. If they don't help me I'll look for a pin lock. Good suggestion!

Last edited by a moderator:
What I should have said was, consider removing some of the insulation from the bottom side of the freezer lid to clear the keg handles and disconnects. Close the lid most of the way, then stick your arm in there with a marker and outline the trouble spots. Then go at it with a utility knife, chisels, etc., and if you go a bit too far or if the insulation starts falling out of the hole, you can add some 'great stuff' foaming insulation to build it back up. The full insulation is intended to mantain deep-freezer temps. You only need it to stay down around 40f.

Side note, some folks here ditch the freezer lid altogether and build their own with plywood and foam board.

IMO, if the new disconnects don't do the job, the only option is to add to the top of the collar. I would probably do that anyway since that collar is so plain...

I can get a refrigerator for $499, that will fit 6 kegs no problem....not sure why people go with chest freezers, unless you need space for 8-12 kegs.....i even get extra freezer space.....

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Frigidaire-18-cu-ft-Top-Freezer-Refrigerator-White/1000225701
Yeah I've considered an upright myself but a chest freezer is much less imposing in a living room or den, and besides they're just plain cool. The low, wide form factor is more like a real pub setup especially with a tap tower or coffin, and the top surface is still useful.

they're just plain cool

LOL, only with a temp controller, otherwise their ice cold!

and the top surface is still useful.

100_0591.JPG

and i got 'Jimmy' glued to the top of mine! :D

A fridge would have less issues with moisture build up for sure. Watching sales you can get a 6 keg freezer for half the price.

i actually got this one for $85 (with tip, $150) from my neighbor's yard sale.....i'll have to keep my eye out though, ANOTHER cold box, would be cool! $250 and i could have 4 of them! lol, like isobaric sub-woofers, gotta keep the fridge manufacturers at full production!

Time out.

If your stainless QDs don't do the job for you, reconsider re-doing the collar. I know you said you don't want to do that, but it's the best answer to your problem. Heck, those stainless disconnects aren't cheap, and you need two for each keg.

Think ahead to six months from now. What are you going to wish you had done?

I know patience is a virtue few home brewers have in abundance, but right now is the time to exercise it if you've got it.

It's not going to take you that long to make a new collar; you already have experience. Make it out of something 2 inches higher, and there you are. Instead of all this fiddle-faddle to make something work that isn't set up to work well, why not get what will make you proud, and won't continually remind you of having screwed up?

My 2 cents, YMMV, and good luck regardless of which way you go.

PS: You could return the QDs to Amazon.

Time out.

If your stainless QDs don't do the job for you, reconsider re-doing the collar. I know you said you don't want to do that, but it's the best answer to your problem. Heck, those stainless disconnects aren't cheap, and you need two for each keg.

I know patience is a virtue few home brewers have in abundance, but right now is the time to exercise it if you've got it.

It's not going to take you that long to make a new collar; you already have experience. Make it out of something 2 inches higher, and there you are. Instead of all this fiddle-faddle to make something work that isn't set up to work well, why not get what will make you proud, and won't continually remind you of having screwed up?

Totally agree.

I'd also add, go back through the keezer picture thread. There might be a design you saw before but didn't think about implementing that may be more to your liking now. It's also good eye candy. Good luck!

I can get a refrigerator for $499, that will fit 6 kegs no problem....not sure why people go with chest freezers, unless you need space for 8-12 kegs.....i even get extra freezer space.....

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Frigidaire-18-cu-ft-Top-Freezer-Refrigerator-White/1000225701
If my keezer ever dies I will probably go this route. Easier to get keg in & out, no screwing around with building collars, no annoying condensation issues, plus a dedicated hop freezer! I went with the keezer because I already had the chest freezer

Time out.

I think he only needs disconnects for the keg on the hump.
I total agree with all of the rest. Should be able to reuse all of the hardware and only need lumber and some more weather stripping foam.

But they are large diameter and you have to take that into consideration.

Usually not a problem unless you are trying to pack the most kegs into the smallest freezer. Best to leave some room for airflow (moisture issues) and just routine maintenance like swapping kegs. Does looks like he has some room from the pics, but should do a cardboard circle test to make sure.

I think he only needs disconnects for the keg on the hump.
I total agree with all of the rest. Should be able to reuse all of the hardware and only need lumber and some more weather stripping foam.

Then the stainless disconnects are the better answer, IMO.

I have a couple of the original Torpedo kegs which are the same form factor as pinlock kegs--except the Torpedoes are ball-lock. They fit on the hump for me if I want to do that.

A friend has a 5.0 cu-ft freezer. It only holds two kegs on the floor of the freezer. If he had a third keg with a pinlock form factor, he could get 3 in there.

My keezer freezer is 8.9 cu ft, but I had to pay about $350 for it. It'll hold 5 kegs on the freezer floor, and if I were highly motivated, I might get two more of the pinlock form factor on the hump.

A friend has a 5.0 cu-ft freezer. It only holds two kegs on the floor of the freezer. If he had a third keg with a pinlock form factor, he could get 3 in there.

My keezer freezer is 8.9 cu ft, but I had to pay about $350 for it. It'll hold 5 kegs on the freezer floor, and if I were highly motivated, I might get two more of the pinlock form factor on the hump.

I'll have to keep it in mind for when i set-up my kicking back in bed tap.....

Mine's based on a 5cuft Magic Chef freezer I got brand new for $90 at a building supply salvage place. The box had some slight water damage, otherwise it was perfect. I was shopping for a freezer that would hold four on the floor, but the deal on the smaller one was so good I couldn't pass it by.

It holds two 5gal ball locks in the bottom, and two 3gal ball locks on the hump. I like having the small kegs. They're a great size for carrying to a campout or party. It's nice to be able to keg a small batch of a new recipe before committing to a larger batch. They're also handy for split batch experiments. I can brew a 6gal batch, split it and ferment with different yeasts, etc.

Last edited:
My 5cuft holds two, barely, esp if they are both the fatter pin lock. Two ball locks no prob.
Plus I can fit two 2.5 kegs on the hump.

If my keezer ever dies I will probably go this route. Easier to get keg in & out, no screwing around with building collars, no annoying condensation issues, plus a dedicated hop freezer! I went with the keezer because I already had the chest freezer

One pro for the chest freezer is any spills are contained.

I had two kegs leak while conditioning a couple of years back. I lost a gallon on one and, a few months later, the full five for the other keg. Another plus is the top of a keezer makes a great bottling station if you have a lot to bottle.

Totally understand about the negatives, especially the condensation.

Well, the steel QD arrived and the veredict is....
It sort of fits...

It falls short by a liiiiiiiittle bit.
I got pissed off so I decided to hammer the insulation on the lid. So that I'd make a dent, or screw it up and make a new lid.
Now it fits perfectly.

I'm not proud but it fits :)

Back