My dog hates/loves my cider fermenting smells...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ccheese4

Reaction score
Has anyone else experienced this? I started my first brew ever on Monday night (using the Northern Brewer Crooked Apple starter kit). Last night, I was starting to get some rotten-egg type smells. From what I've read, that's pretty normal. My dog hates it though! I put the fermentor in the pantry (small apartment, dark and out of the way) and it stunk up the pantry. Dog cried/whined at the pantry door all night. She didn't even really want to eat dinner last night because she was so busy at the pantry door (she's a Brittany Spaniel, and absolutely inhales her food. She would never miss a meal). First thing this morning, she started crying/whining at the pantry door again when she went downstairs. My wife stayed home today, and we put the fermentor out on the table to let the pantry air out, and now the dog wants on the table! So it's definitely the cider. Has anyone else experienced this with their dogs or other pets? She's going nuts (and driving my wife crazy today).

Side note: I'm reading a few different opinions on the rhino farts. Should I just leave it or add yeast nutrient?

Has anyone else experienced this? I started my first brew ever on Monday night (using the Northern Brewer Crooked Apple starter kit). Last night, I was starting to get some rotten-egg type smells. From what I've read, that's pretty normal. My dog hates it though! I put the fermentor in the pantry (small apartment, dark and out of the way) and it stunk up the pantry. Dog cried/whined at the pantry door all night. She didn't even really want to eat dinner last night because she was so busy at the pantry door (she's a Brittany Spaniel, and absolutely inhales her food. She would never miss a meal). First thing this morning, she started crying/whining at the pantry door again when she went downstairs. My wife stayed home today, and we put the fermentor out on the table to let the pantry air out, and now the dog wants on the table! So it's definitely the cider. Has anyone else experienced this with their dogs or other pets? She's going nuts (and driving my wife crazy today).

Side note: I'm reading a few different opinions on the rhino farts. Should I just leave it or add yeast nutrient?

Of course your dog doesn't like the rotten egg smell. She thinks you'll blame it on her. ;)

This is very common with ciders. I would leave it alone at this point but use nutrients next time. It will subside soon(ish)

Of course your dog doesn't like the rotten egg smell. She thinks you'll blame it on her. ;)

Hmmmm now that you mention it, she might just be jealous. She does make the worst stinkers I've ever smelled. :eek:

Consider it a blessing. She's warning you of danger. Hydrogen Sulfide (H2S) is about as toxic as Carbon Monoxide.

Yes, add nutrients.

I didn't know that it was just as toxic. I assume that it's not nearly as deadly though, since the whole reason CO is so bad is that it's colorless and odorless.

This is very common with ciders. I would leave it alone at this point but use nutrients next time. It will subside soon(ish)

The smell is already starting to subside. I just thought my dogs reaction was funny. :) I've already ordered some nutrients to use in my next batch.

Back