My DIY Hop Dryer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FrewBrew

Reaction score
My first year hops are actually producing (and quite a lot too!) so this weekend I set out to make a hop-drying aparatus. When all was said and done, I spent $35 in addition to some other materials I had laying around.

Stuff I had:
1 x 4"x4"x4'
Screen Door screen (unused)
wood glue
wood screws
Staples/staple gun

Stuff I bought
1 x 20" fan - $15 @ Target
3 x 2" x 4" x 8' non pressure treated - ~$20 @ Lowes

I started by cutting the 4x4 into 22" lengths, to act as stands for the fan to sit on. This allows air to come from under the fan. I put screen over the top, to act as a filter. So hopefully not as much dust will be picked up.
4x4_stand.jpg

Once this was done, I put the fan on top

fan_on_stand.jpg

I then took the 2x4's and cut them as follows:
8x 20" sections
8x 13" sections

:Edit: As you look at my pictures, you'll notice that the lengths don't need to be 100% precise. I made the cuts in 100 degree heat with a circular saw, so I was in a bit of a rush, and didn't have the most precise tool. It didn't make much of a difference though, the whole thing is pretty sturdy, and it doesn't need to be perfect - at least in my case.

I took and made a box by laying 2 20" sections, and putting a 13" section between. I cut out a section of screen to stretch across the middle and stapled it down with a simple staple gun. I then put an even layer of wood glue across the entire top, and put another layer of 2x4's op top of the first. The key here is to lay the 2x4's the opposite of what you did the first time (ie, lay a 20" section across the top of the 13" sections and visa versa). This will help hold the whole thing together better. You can see what I'm talking about with the side view here.

first_layer.jpg

This goes directly on top of the fan. I made a second layer identical, and obviously if you needed you could do several more.

second_layer.jpg

I thought about putting a hinge between the 2 layers, but I think the way I have it setup will actually make it easier to add and remove layers of hops as need be, so I opted against that.

And here's the view from the top
top_view.jpg

This looks like it should get the job done for what I need - feel free to leave feedback!

Pulling air from under and pushing through top. Seems to me it would kick up less dust and debris from the floor... Though obviously the setup could work either way

You need an inline carbon filter to cover up the smell. O wait, this is for HOPS...

Nice setup. I think I have pieces from a build like this back in my college days!

Back