My DIY 3 Perlick T-Tower

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikey_Dawg

Reaction score
Started kegging last year and decided that I need more beer on draft... looking through this forum inspired me to build my own T-Tower because I liked that design the most and a stainless steel T-Tower is crazy expensive.

I decided to build the tower of of Red Oak and am going to paint it to match the color scheme of it's home.

This is certainly not meant to be a how to... but feel free to ask any questions if you got em...

The target kegerator:

TowerBuild1.jpg

Day 1 progess: Basically I did all of the cutting of the tower. Nothing permanently assembled at this point, just a but of rectagles of wood that I am hoping will transform into beer serving euphoria:

TowerBuild2.jpg

Day 2 progres: Got my SS perlicks in and 2" shanks. Time to test fit everything to make sure it will all fit.

TowerBuild3.jpg

TowerBuild4.jpg

TowerBuild5.jpg

TowerBuild6.jpg

Looking good so far. I had to cut the hole going down into the tower a little larger where it meets the top of the T so all 3 hoses would smoothly transition down...but overall pleased with the fit, look, and design.
TowerBuild7.jpg

Day 3 Progress: Now that I am happy with the fit of everything, I plugged all of the inset holes (for the screws) with oak plugs, sanded them down, and then assembled the rest of the T and did a full sanding. I am planning on leaving the screws exposed in the back in case I need to take the back off at anytime but they will be flush with the back panel and painted. I fully assembled it to sand so it would fit back nicely together after I painted the back separately:

TowerBuild8.jpg

TowerBuild9.jpg

Day 4 Progress: So painting has begun. Why Red you might ask? Go back and see the first picture above, it is part of my UGA theme in my garage (Go Dawgs!!!) Right now I feel like it looks more like a Red bird house than a Kegerator T-Tower but I am keeping the faith:

TowerBuild10.jpg

After 2-4 more coats of paint (this red paint really doesnt seem to cover well), I am going to put a polyurethane clear coat or 3 on the entire inside and outisde of the Tower and call the paint job complete.

I have my Co2 line, secondary regulator, fittings, etc on their way from Kegconnection so I think I should have this project wrapped up this weekend.

Only problem I see at this point is my Rye IPA is running out and I only have 1 beer ready to keg... (Belgium Peach Wheat). Luckily AHS was nice enough to cut me a deal on some brewing kits for $20 so I have an IPA and Blonde (to be Strawberried) on the way! The beer will be flowing soon... thanks for checking it out... will update this thread once the project is complete.

That T tower is just begging to be painted orange. Go Vols!

But really though, this is giving me some ideas. What kind of fridge is that?

I would take on a project of this magnitude but my team has more to do this month :cross:

Seriously, nice build and a cool hangout "man cave"

That T tower is just begging to be painted orange. Go Vols!

But really though, this is giving me some ideas. What kind of fridge is that?

It is the Haier HBF05EBSS BrewMaster. I guess I should have expected some harassment for the UGA garage...

I would take on a project of this magnitude but my team has more to do this month :cross:

Seriously, nice build and a cool hangout "man cave"

You taking a shot at the Hoop Dawgs? Hey, we made the Tourney... will we make it past the first round?? :confused:

Lucikly my wife is a big UGA fan as well and let me do my thing in this garage last summer... this is the full setup. I am hoping to get a chest freezer (with thermostat conversion) sometime in the next few months and some extra storage in there so I can ferment all my brews out there as well and when I go full grain, this will be home base....

TowerBuild11.jpg

No have nothing smart to say in the fall of the year....Though I root them on year after year! LOVE that garage though needs more blue! Gotta love the SEC unless you are the NCAA.

I would say that all of y'all are crazy. . . should have just stained it. . .pretty wood should never be covered up! :D

Nice tower. Am thinking of doing the same thing.

I would say that all of y'all are crazy. . . should have just stained it. . .pretty wood should never be covered up! :D

didnt want to go there but hes right,if youre gonna paint it,use poplar or if thats not hard enough,maple.beautiful job though,go gators:rockin:

I hear ya on that... but stain wouldnt have looked right with me setup. If I end up not liking the red, I will probably re-paint it black. Thanks for the feedback.

I am in a similar situation in that I want to add more taps to my towers and had been debating on doing something similar. Was there a reason you didn't go with something like THIS? I want to build a T but $35 w/ shanks is reasonable. They are not SS but at the least I could throw them in a jockey box if I wanted to change out to SS.

1toa3towerextension.jpg

I am in a similar situation in that I want to add more taps to my towers and had been debating on doing something similar. Was there a reason you didn't go with something like THIS? I want to build a T but $35 w/ shanks is reasonable. They are not SS but at the least I could throw them in a jockey box if I wanted to change out to SS.

1toa3towerextension.jpg

That seems like a reasonable option as well. I just liked the look of a T-Tower and felt like building something. Also, it might get a little tight with that setup if you use 3 full size tap handles (which I plan on doing).

But trust me, I have seen some other ideas out there since I started this that would have been much easier to accomplish the same thing... 3 taps. So I guess you can add this one to that list... :cross:

Painting that beautiful oak. Dang you are a die hard fan. Nice work.

Diehard indeed.... I didnt realize so many would be offended by the painting of the oak...haha.

Anyway, I finished painting the Tower last night and applied multiple coats of an Indoor/Outdoor wood clear coat sealant. So, tonight I should be able to get this thing assembled in it's final form and get some more pics. As soon as I get the rest of my parts from Kegconnection, I will get this thing mounted and setup on the kegerator. Hoping for this weekend...

******3/18/11 Update*******

So the tower is complete. Perhaps I have OCDC but build building this thing was really a pain at times but I am happy with the outcome. The most annoying thing was getting the taps/shanks on their tight so the hose could be connected tight without turning the taps when I tightend then. I was working with small space so something that should have been easy became pretty trying very quickly but I got it working. Only have the middle faucet hooked up right now but it seems to be working properly. Just need to get two more proper tap handles...

TowerBuild12.jpg

TowerBuild13.jpg

TowerBuild14.jpg

...Now if AHS would get me my order, I could start brewing to fill up the other two kegs... :mug:

Looks good.

Would fit a bit better with the color scheme if just the horizontal part of the T was black, I would think.

Back