My DELICIOUS apples!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T_Baggins

Reaction score
After finding an apple wine recipe, and more research, I modified the original recipe to this:

5 gallons fresh sweet apple cider from a local fruit farm.
5 lbs C&H sugar (the pink and white bag)
7 tsp Yeast nutrient
7 1/2 tsp Acid blend
1 1/4 tsp Wine Tannin
5 campden tabs
1 packet Lalvin EC-118 Yeast

I put the cider, 5 tsp nutrient, acid blend, tannin, and campden tabs, 4 lbs sugar in the primary. I topped it with an empty airlock for 24 hrs.
Re hydrating the yeast was a bit tricky at first, but figured out that if you put 2 oz (I used a shot glass) in a coffee mug, then nuked it for 2 1/2 mins. This brought the temp to 160F, I added 2 1/2 ice cubes which brought the temps down to a cool 105F. Mixed in the yeast and put it back in the microwave to keep warm for 15 mins. The temps drop to about 97F in that time. I put that in the must and let ferment 5 days. On the 5th day I added the 5th lb sugar and 2 more tsp nutrient (probably not needed) . After 7 days I transferred into a glass carboy and let set. I decided not to use the pectic enzyme at all. Gravity did an AMAZING job of clarifying. I siphoned off two 2 liter bottles and went to town. Every one enjoyed the product and I got plenty tipsy.
The next weekend, I I added the ascorbic acid and 5 more campden tabs. Let sit another 24 hrs then made 1 bottle and took the rest back to town, Between 6 people or so, nearly 3 gallons got us all SMASHED!!! I had nearly zero hangover! I even think the headache could have been wadded up coats I used for a pillow when I passed out on the couch!

I have started a new batch, using Morena pure cane sugar (un refined) and I upped the dosage to 8 lbs. According to the hydrometer that should net about 14% ABV. My vinometer said 11% for my first batch. The new batch will be racked maybe 3 times before the canoe trip.

This weekend I am going to get the Cherry cider from the same vendor and hopefully apply the same recipe/technique.

Does anyone have input on use of cherry cider? Will it clear like apple on it's own without enzyme? Will a coffee filter do any good, or be a waste of time? I don't care to buy anymore equipment IE filtration. I like the rustic appearance I have achieved with my first batch.

Please comment or add suggestions!

Latest posts

Back