My custom SS-topped single tier

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sweetcell

Protruding Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
finally got to brew on my new rig this past President's Day. it's based on the StrutChannelFittings kit but i made a few mods. i can make 15 gallons of 1.060 wort by filling the MLT to the brim (looking to upgrade it...). it was a fun project but took longer, and cost more, than originally planned. shocker, i know. glad i won't be doing this again for a few years.

my first brew day in the rig was rough, mostly due to my own incompetence. my favorite screw-up: i did a water brew the day before, it got frigid cold overnight, and on brew day i couldn't figure out why i couldn't recirculate my mash... after a half hour of hacking around, reversing flow, swapping out valves, etc etc etc i finally figured out that i didn't empty my wort pump the day before so the water inside froze overnight. d'oh! 4 days later, my MLT is still full of spent grain because it froze solid that night and it hasn't thawed out since. at least it doesn't smell bad!
questions and comments always welcome. cheers! :mug:

brewstand1.jpg
brewstand2.jpg
brewstand4.jpg
brewstand3.jpg

Last edited:
I thought I told you before: NO BREWING THE TWINS!!

Sweet setup bro. Can't wait to come by and see it in action! Looks like I will be out that way the week prior to the 4th.

Nicely done! Where did you get those (needle?) gas valves? Do you have more than a 1/2 turn to control a low simmer? Do they “fall back” a bit when you adjust them?

Nicely done! Where did you get those (needle?) gas valves? Do you have more than a 1/2 turn to control a low simmer? Do they “fall back” a bit when you adjust them?
thanks! here are the needles valves. pros: very solid; smooth turning; stick to where you leave them (no "fall-back"); they just work as expected. cons: from closed to full open is about a quarter turn (still plenty enough for precise control but i would have preferred just a little more runway); when fully closed they can be a bit tough to open (they seem to stick a little in the closed position - again, not a deal-breaker, ensures that they don't leak when closed). i can recommend these.

I’m curious with your mod for only one set of casters if you made it with the intent to stand it on end for storage purposes? Likely not, but would that be possible?

I’m curious with your mod for only one set of casters if you made it with the intent to stand it on end for storage purposes? Likely not, but would that be possible?
apologies for the late reply: yes, this can be stored on its edge/side although that wasn't the original intent. the reason that i went with that design was stability.

Back