My crappy experience with Austin Homebrew Supply [RESOLVED]

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
MOD EDIT: How not to resolve an issue.

Alright, this is something I would not normally do, but I feel compelled based on my recent experience with AHS.

I ordered a 6 gallon glass carboy from them, and upon arrival and inspection, I noticed a crack on the bottom. I immediately called AHS and explained my problem... to which the response was, "you should contact UPS and file a claim". I was kind of taken back at what seemed like an automatic response... without even inquiring or even considering it was like this when they shipped it.

My response was "I don't believe this is something that happened in shipping". The box was fine, and along with the carboy, I ordered 3 cases of wine bottles, none of which had a problem.

So the person who was trying to help me decided "it was in my best interest", to send them a picture of the crack. I did... see below... This was on Monday.

Today, I hadn't heard anything from them, so I called to inquire. I was told, based on my picture that it wasn't a crack, but merely an imperfection. I said, no... it's a crack and goes all the way through. He then said, "the only way to know for sure is to fill it with water and see if it leaks". WTF? At this point, I said... I'll simply dispute this with my CC company. I also said, I was a member here and would let this community know. That didn't faze them one bit, he basically said go for it... I'll let the owner know.

Well, take a look at the pic yourself. Would you trust this with 6 gallons of liquid? Also know that if you purchase a 6 gallon carboy from AHS, that it very likely might have the same problem and you will be in the same position as I am.

The really crappy thing about this is I like their website and their brew kits. In fact, I had several hundred dollars of stuff in my cart that I was about to purchase today, but thought I'd check the status of this issue before I did. I'm now very glad I didn't give them more business.

920-img-1219-2.jpg

If you are in Atlanta, why were you doing business with those Texas rednecks to begin with? There are homebrew shops a-plenty in the area.

Also, I bet there is another side to this story.

:popcorn:

Have you tried actually filling it with a gallon of water to see if it is actually a crack?

I don't see a picture posted anywhere. It is kind of suspicious that your first post is bashing a vendor especially with the username??, but I will give you be benefit of the doubt. We all know how dangerous carboys are and if you have any doubts don't use it!

My 5 gal glass carboy has an long seem on the bottom the I feared was a crack but it really is just an imperfection.

I trust that the crack does go through but, by that pic it looks more like it is scored or a blemish. Either way, there is not enough there to discern the actual damage to the glass.

Sound like the response was crappy but, do not fault them for defaulting you to UPS claims. While thay are better than many of the others UPS is not infallable.

Why don't you contact UPS about it? There is no way to know where it got the crack and I'm sure you can get UPS to reimburse you for it. There is no reason to start a flame war.

I trust that the crack does go through but, by that pic it looks more like it is scored or a blemish. Either way, there is not enough there to discern the actual damage to the glass.

Sound like the response was crappy but, do not fault them for defaulting you to UPS claims. While thay are better than many of the others UPS is not infallable.

What pic are you talking about?

If you are in Atlanta, why were you doing business with those Texas rednecks to begin with? There are homebrew shops a-plenty in the area.

Also, I bet there is another side to this story.

:popcorn:

I dealt with them based on this community's recomendation, also because the have free shipping for orders over $100. I frequently place orders for far more than this. Also, I don't like to pay taxes.

I tried to explain both sides. They basically are stating it's an imperfection and not a crack. Refused to send me a shipping label to send it back for a refund... and left me with no other choice.

I really don't know what more to say about their position.

Update - OK... I just received an email from them that after further review, they are going to refund my money. Good. I wish they had done this earlier... before I disputed it with my cc and before I created this thread.

I see the pic. Can't really tell.

Not going to get involved, other than to say that regardless of your current frustration, I guarantee you that your user name is going to cause you nothing but grief here. No shop's perfect, not AHS, not anybody, but if your sole intent in joining the forum was to make a complaint, well... that's not cool.

First, the thing I see in the picture could be a crack or imperfection. I'll defer to your description of crack since have looked at it in person. But either way there is NO WAY I'd use a carboy with either crack or other flaw like that.

Second, AHS is not wrong in asking you to have UPS pay for the damage, since it is glass and fragile, UPS may be responsible. They don't want to be responsible for UPS's damage.

Is there a reason you don't want to file a claim with UPS? It may have been shipped that way, or not. No way of knowing for sure.

So you refused to try anything their customer service recommended, but you aren't happy with their response?

:confused:

Update - OK... I just received an email from them that after further review, they are going to refund my money. Good. I wish they had done this earlier... before I disputed it with my cc and before I created this thread.

Creating this thread probably helped.

Also, imperfection or crack, you should have returned it. Picking up a full carboy with a blemish of noticeable size on the bottom is dangerous. These things need to be solid.

I vote for mod delete. OP states vendor proposed resolution. No need for a slanderous post if the issue gets resolved.

If it's a crack, you should contact UPS. That's SOP, and the fact that you won't makes it seem like you're just stirring up ****.

Each package gets handled (or tossed) individually; the fact that the wine bottles arrived safely means precisely zero.

Why don't you contact UPS about it? There is no way to know where it got the crack and I'm sure you can get UPS to reimburse you for it. There is no reason to start a flame war.

AHS stated they looked at their inventory, and have more carboys that are exhibiting the same "imperfection"... I say it's a crack. These are way too dangerous to play around with. I'm firmly convinced it did not happen in shipping...

I'm not trying to start a flame war... I'm simply letting this community know of my experience. Wouldn't you want to know this????

Usually you can't post pics until you have so many posts, so perhaps only premium supporters can see it?

There is a right way and a completely wrong way to do this.

A posting of the facts ONLY and perhaps a taking little time before you popped off would have made this a useful thread. Since this did get resolved and a cracked carboy is in fact dangerous, I'm restoring this on the off chance that someone else was shipped one.

Once again, another pre-mature flame resolved in a manner that we have come to expect from Austin Homebrew Supply. Professionally.

It is never acceptable to create a spoof account to gripe about another member or vendor. Your account of the facts becomes suspect if you can't back it up with your reputation.

The username is completely unacceptable. It presumes that the issue is never going to be resolved. Guess what... it was. Now what? That's the shame of it

It's fortunate, perhaps for you, that I don't have the time time to research and ban your real account. Lessons learned?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back