My carboy is exploding!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IHateMayonnaise

Reaction score
I brewed a beer Friday night, a Stone Double Bastard all-grain clone from Austin-Homebrew, which ended up having an OG of 1.100 (the recipe called for 1.110), into which I pitched two vials of White Labs California V yeast (no starter). I then siphoned it into a 6.5 gallon carboy and proceeded to wait. I had no activity, absolutely none, until 60 hours after pitching. I nearly made a thread about it because I was worried something was wrong; I've never heard of a beer taking this long to make its first bubble.

So yesterday it started fermenting, whew! Not fast, not slow, at a medium rate. Had a couple inches of yeast cake on the top. So I went to school all day today and just got back, and upon opening the door to my apartment I was immediately overwhelmed by a rather pungent, albeit pleasant, beer odor. "Interesting" I thought. Yes, interesting indeed.

So I peered into my bathroom, aka my resident fermentation chamber, only to see the yeast cake now extended up to the airlock on my carboy with foam coming out the top. This had happened several times before on previous brews, mostly due to insufficient headroom while using buckets.

So, per the usual perscription, I sanitized another airlock, and proceeded to pull the other off and wipe down the carboy. Immediately, the stopper and airlock shot out of my hand and I was covered, drenched, in yeasty sticky hoppy beer. Everything in my damn bathroom was covered, spots even hit the ceiling. My towel, toilet, sink, toothbrush, mirror, everything was dripping. And what's more it kept on foaming, enough to fill a pint glass every three seconds.

The carboy is still foaming, although now it has the bottom part of a two-piece airlock on it. Honestly I don't think there is much point in jamming an airlock on right now, the CO2 production is still through the roof. I mean, I can hear it fermenting in the other room, without a damn airlock!

Lessons that I learned today:
1) When doublepitching a big beer, keep it in the bathtub for 4 or 5 days.
2) Something I thought I had but clearly did not: patience
3) Cleaning up after brewing never ends

I took a video of the foaming action after the incident on my phone, I'll try and post it later. Has this or anything similar ever happened to anyone before? Or am I the only one standing on a chair wiping beer from their ceiling??

Update: Video! This is after the second explosion after I moved the beer to my bathtub, after I stuck a carboy stopper in the carboy (no airlock), and shot off a few minutes later

Up close of the foaming action:

Last edited by a moderator:
A blow off tube is your friend. Sounds like you had your hands full! My first encounter was when I blew a top and I've still got a stain on the ceiling of my closet, lol.

the first time something like this happened i didnt have a blow off tube so i got the tube i use for my siphone and was able to jam it in the cork that the airlock fits into. it barely fit so i lucked out.

I sure appreciate the anecdote. I just got done adding a full gallon starter to a 1.123 OG BarleyWine. Since reading I pulled the air lock and added a 1" ID blow off tube. I would never be able to brew in the house again if I made worty toothbrushes.

Update: it just happened again.

I heard a *pop* and the bottom of the airlock flew off again. if anything, this time it was worse!! there's beer gunk everywhere!!!!!

edit: i think that the problem is that the carboy stopper keeps getting clogged up. I put a blowoff tube on but I'm pretty sure it will explode again

I'm not sure that underpitching would cause beerplosion though. I do think that not using a blowoff tube is the main cause. If there isn't much headspace think about how much pressure is trying to squeeze out of that tiny fermentation lock. A blowoff tube is absolutely essential in this case.

I just want to thank you for not asking if your beer is ruined or infected. Sure, there's a lot of cleanup involved, but this sounds like a good problem to have. Vigorous fermentation and a (hopefully truly) 70 degree ferment are recipe's for success. Let us know how it turns out, and invest in a big ol' tube for blowoffs. :mug:

I just want to thank you for not asking if your beer is ruined or infected. Sure, there's a lot of cleanup involved, but this sounds like a good problem to have. Vigorous fermentation and a (hopefully truly) 70 degree ferment are recipe's for success. Let us know how it turns out, and invest in a big ol' tube for blowoffs. :mug:

hey yeah no problem. ive been brewing for a couple years, this is my first all grain though. I have pitched beers bigger than this though, with starters and didn't have any problems nearly as epic. The projected ABV is above 10% for this badboy, I figure that's enough to offset any potential infection due to exposure (especially since there is such high positive pressure, obviously..)

This happed to me with my 1st all grain batch. I made a 5 gal oatmeal stout put it in a 5 gal carboy, 48 hrs later my air lock went from a bubble or 2 a sec to... clogged with foam. I had a 3 peace air-lock and I went to replace it and it shot off like a geyser.. foam shot all over my refrigerator. I got a towel and wiped it up and put a new sanitized one on. Cleaned the fridge and put back my beer. Next morning I made a blow-off tube from a siphon hose and cut the bottom off the airlock. Worked awesome! best of luck!

Yeah - where the pics ? :)
Its strange how some beers go mad but others don't. I recently made a 1.100RIS. I pitched it onto a nottingham cake expecting it blow-off big time. 24hrs later there was barely any action. 48hr later it was busy but not crazy. Fermented down to 1.026 in three days quietly.

From my limited experience, it appears to be a combination of a lot of things. Fermentation temps, yeast health, yeast strain, and starting gravity.

Higher temps, with healthy, vigorous yeast, on a high gravity beer generally requires a blowoff tube. I'm sure there are other factors, though.

For a blowoff tube, go to the hardware store and get a couple feet of 1" OD tube. Its kind of pricey, but well worth the not having to clean up after =D

You did indeed underpitch and, while it certainly didn't cause your vigorous fermentation, it does account for your 60 hour lag time. That yeast had to do a lot of reproducing before it could start fermenting!

As others have said, go get yourself a 1" tube and shove it in the neck of the carboy - no stopper. You should get a good seal with just the tube.

video posted.

Also: if I underpitched should I get more yeast and stick it in? Or should I just let it ferment for longer so the yeast can do its thing?

At this point just relax, drink a beer, and continue scrubbing your bathroom!:D

IHateMayonnaise - Yeah, it's an old thread. Do you have the recipe for the Double Bastard clone?

Back