My bung

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SexPanther13

Reaction score
I have a 6 gallon better bottle carboy with a violent fermentation going on inside, and the bung keeps getting pushed/shot out of the mouth of the carboy by the CO2 pressure. I have a decent diameter hose on it going to a blow off jug but it isn't releasing enough pressure. Should I upgrade to the actual Better Bottle equipment or is there another way other than duct tape to secure my bung?

Explosive bung huh, don't they make adult diapers for that?

On a serious note, is there krauesen being pushed out of the opening? If not just sanitize a piece of foil and put it loosely over the top, it should work just fine.

I just started using BB's two batches ago and I have the BB stopper with the dry air lock. That thing goes in extremely tight and is a serious PITA to get out!
I haven't had to use a blowoff with my BB yet, but I have a drilled bung w hose for it - sounds like I'll have the same problem as you with that.

One buddy of mine related the BB as trying to shove 10lbs of crap into a 5lb bag...

When I was using my 6G BB I never was able to brew without the blowoff hose for the first few days. (I actually got a hose the whole neck of the BB and had it stick in a corney of StarSan still made a mess in the corney.

But then again I used to fill them up to 5.5G and .5G of headspace is really asking for blowoff.

If ya want I'll see if I still have the hose and measure it for ya.

Back