My build thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I need to get some pictures on here of the updated components. I was able to do back to back brews on Saturday! Everything went well, aside from some pump priming issues. We were able to mash and boil at the same time, and I have to say the Quadzilla performed flawlessly. Next steps involve adding some valves to help with priming, and working to get some electronic ball valves to start looking at automation.
Yes, some pics would be very welcome.

Congrats man! I hope to be brewing on my brucontrol rig very soon. A few delays, my wife had a pretty major surgery today, but that went really well and I'll be doing some work on my POS car tomorrow. Then it's focus on getting my brewery done!

I thought I would update this thread with some of changes I am making. I recently moved and while waiting for an electrician to add 50amps in the garage I decided to move from RIMs to HERMs as I was having some issues with scorching and honestly, the tube was always in the way [emoji52].

I bought another 20 gallon Blichmann kettle, added a boil coil and herms coil. I then realized I need a new brew stand as my last was made for a two vessel. This is what I built.
IMG_1555.JPG
. For some reason after seeing several threads with real-time gravity readings, I found a few items on eBay fairly cheap. Once I received them, I realized my current panel (20x24) is way to small for these items. So then the hunt for a larger panel started... I found a used 36x24x8 for $100 on eBay as well. So this weekend I mounted it and drilled 32 holes for sensors and valves
IMG_1566.JPG
IMG_1583.JPG
I just ordered more aviation connectors, raceway, relays and a touchscreen. My wife is not liking this at all!

Last edited:
I was able to get the din rails and raceway installed. Hopefully I can get some wiring done tomorrow.
IMG_1590.JPG

For some reason after seeing several threads with real-time gravity readings, I found a few items on eBay fairly cheap.

Wait, you too? It looks like using MFMs for real time gravity measurements is rapidly spreading like some sort of beer related virus here.

I replaced them with a 4 channel mosfet and the issue went away! I also replaced the Arduino, but I wired then both wrong to begin with, so likely damaged them. Lesson learned I guess.
I know you solved this already, but thought I might shed some insight for others. I had a similar issue on my home made mosfet boards initially. My counter flow meters would start giving bogus flow rates when the duty cycle wasnt 0 or 100%. I was able to remedy this by adding more capacitance between VCC and GND ok each DC pump.

Given the fact that they were not wired correctly initially, that may have burnt up the capacitors. That or the boards you bought had counterfeit capacitors that didn't work as intended.

Additionally, the reason these boards switch the ground instead of VCC is because they are using N-fets instead of P-fets. P-fets have a higher resistance when turned on (RDSon) than N-fets and would require a better thermal solution to prevent burning the fets up. P-fets can easily be used to switch VCC by pulling the gate to 0V. N-fets require a higher voltage than the voltage they are switching to turn them on. So the DC voltage from the Arduino would have to be greater than 24V (24V + Vgs threshold) to control a 24Vdc pump. If you use N-fets to switch ground instead of VCC, then you only have to supply 3-5V to turn it on and therefore it can be driven directly from an Arduino digital output.

I was able to get a lot done this weekend. I got all of the high voltage installed. I got the ssr heat sink installed and got my touchscreen mounted. I chose to use a tv mount and attach it above the panel so that I can pull it down when it is in use. I am going to try to solder and color code my wires for valves and sensors this week. Here are a few images.
IMG_1592.JPG
IMG_1597.JPG
IMG_1598.JPG
IMG_1596.JPG
IMG_1597.JPG
IMG_1595.JPG

Last edited:
I have a lot more time on my hands due to the outbreak. I was able to get a lot more work down this week. I am hoping to get the pressure sensors and flow sensor installed tomorrow.
403C8661-3280-4CD5-A8A2-043B4D7B2BDC.jpeg774EDDFE-EB83-47C3-8D7B-DC566CAFFCD5.jpegAF6F9747-027D-4477-8C4C-C0081FFB8323.jpeg

Back