Quantcast

My Brew Shed in the works, guidance needed.

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

mjohnson

Reaction score
Pesonally, I don't think I'd run propane with the door closed. I'm sure someone can make it safe, but I'd probably opt for wearing long underwear, instead.

Are you going to put some sort of cement board or something to protect the wood by your burners? Something about running turkey fryer propane burners right next to the wooden walls kinda raises a little warning flag in the back of my mind.

I'm not trying to be a debbie downer or one of those "you're gonna kill yourself" types. I have an old shed that I hope to use for brewing when I replace it with something a bit bigger so I'll be running into some similar issues, I'm sure.

OP
B

Brian4x4

Reaction score
Pesonally, I don't think I'd run propane with the door closed. I'm sure someone can make it safe, but I'd probably opt for wearing long underwear, instead.

Are you going to put some sort of cement board or something to protect the wood by your burners? Something about running turkey fryer propane burners right next to the wooden walls kinda raises a little warning flag in the back of my mind.

I'm not trying to be a debbie downer or one of those "you're gonna kill yourself" types. I have an old shed that I hope to use for brewing when I replace it with something a bit bigger so I'll be running into some similar issues, I'm sure.
good point,
I also was planning on putting something on all the walls, but maybe metal behind the burners..

OP
B

Brian4x4

Reaction score
hi all, So I have been doing some more work and also thinking more. I think I may want to pony up and have my shed ran with some higher power so I can someday do a electric brew day. I am going to be adding wires to it anyway why not figure out how to get it ready for that future mod. even if I dont buy heating elements and run that setup just yet...

anyway. added this new floor.
Also have bought a new SS chugger pump and some other goodies.
I have a drop ceiling and wood panels free to use so those coming up next.

floor done. check...
100%free used from my folks..!!!!

I had to shuffle stuff all around from one side to the other

used some scraps to make the bottom shelf. not sure if it will stay forever but works great!

Next up electrical, water, walls and ceiling. ugh...

I have a lot of drop ceiling I can install.

Also I have installed a hot water heater in my house and why I did that I piped hot water outside to my house..

I picked up a nice 12v pump for my rain barrel and I plan to integrate that into my brew day. At least in summer. I plan to pump water from that 275 gallon tote to my wort chiller then dump it back into tote to be used to water my garden. :D
All solar powered.

OP
B

Brian4x4

Reaction score
Looks good.
thanks dude,

I have brewed in the shed a few times now and I love it!
BUT the last time I did (July 4th) it was over 90* here and inside the shed was even worse! Not sure I like that at all.
Had a big fan blowing heat out and that helped but still was so hot in shed..

My friend who was helping me brew that day is an electrician so we where talking all about wiring the shed.

He gave me some good pointers and offered to help in the future.
Since I am running power to the shed I am going to save and try to at least run 1 30amp plug for future electric brewing.

It would be so nice to work inside with the door closed and a AC running in the hot summer. LOL
And as you all said before, door closed in winter and free heat from kettles.

So that is all still in planning.

But here are a few pics from my last brew day.

lol this worked great!

pumped water through my 50' 1/2" immersion chiller then back into my rain barrel to be used to water garden later. I was surprized how much water was used in cooling process. it filled up tote to bottom steal bar.

In the future (next few weeks) this rain barrel will be all setup and working.
So in the summer at least I can use my solar / battery powered 12v 300gph pump to pump the rain barrel water to my chiller then back into bucket.
Just something fun I figured I could do with my rain watering setup in addition to watering garden.

We used my old wort chiller as a pre-chiller in the beer cooler we where using at the time.
cooled down on its own whirlpooling in 10 min or less.

I have decided I want to get some tile and make a rectangle pad under the brew kettles. Kinda like a stove hearth.
That way for now I don't have to worry about the heat heating up floor.
Also if I spill on the laminate over time it will ruin it.

I would love to have the wall behind my kettles be that stainless steel mirror like restaurant stuff.

here is a pic of what it will look like when done..

a family member is pawning off a pinball machine on me I hear soon. I don't have room in my house so it may go in the brew shed.
Pic is not to scale just a quick MS paint drawing to show you my idea.

thanks all
post progress as I make it.

OP
B

Brian4x4

Reaction score
I'm hoping to get this thread walking again. Any progress?
I wish Dude!

But it now has TV!!! Over HDTV air waves antenna. lol
It also has 2 arcade units in it which will be moving to my basement.

As for water, heat and electric so far no good. I will be using a hose still. also for electric I have a Solar panel setup for lights and pump power but thats it.

Someday when its warm again (winter now) I will be able to work on wiring the 220v for my electric brewery. Once I get that wiring done things will move fast.

Exhaust hood, electric heating elements, temp controlled HERMS system. so forth. my winter brew project is turning a keg into a conical fermentation chamber just the basics. Someday it will be the brewery of my dreams .. some day. :( cant come soon enough. thanks for your interest!

eric19312

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Cool project and you have some great ideas.

I don't think you are going to get a pro opinion saying it is safe to use propane indoors on a home built brew stand with outdoor rated burners. You may well find a bunch of people here that have done this and feel ok about what they have done having established adequate (define?) ventilation and running a CO detector. But don't expect a pro to say that's gonna be ok.

Utilities are a big part of brewing. Just as important as pots and fermentors. I looked at a frost line map and can see why you don't want to run a permanent water line. 30 yards x 50" feet deep ground probably full of big ass rocks. Guess that's not an option. I would be careful of getting garden hose taste in your beer though. Investing in an RV hose will help and don't leave it in the sun. What are you going to do with waste water? From cleaning etc? Any chance you could move the shed closer to the house and do the utilities right? Go full electric with water and wastewater lines?