my brew rig build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Nick-

What did you plumb your gas with? Is that aluminum tubing with brass compression fittings?

Also, on the first page you were talking about a drip leg or something for the gas system. What is that?

Yes, the gas work was done in aluminum with brass fittings.... all with a hand tubing bender... Nick's got skills when it comes to HVAC .... there's no way I could get it to look that pretty. I watched him run all those lines in less than an hour

Just awesome. Not sure how else to say it.

So... with your burners all carefully adjusted to minimize carbon monoxide output... do you brew with this in an enclosed space?? Seems like even with calibration, you would want to ensure good air flow. 87,000 BTU's x2 is a lot of gas/heat!

How does one calibrate the output to minimize your CO output? What tools are required?

thank you for all your kind works.

yes the tubing is aluminum, that is what they use in furnaces for the pilot gas lines.

aluminum is also very forgiving, i could not imagine trying to work stainless like that.

i brew in a very well vented garage, with windows and doors open.

i used a gas analyzer to read the co output, if you have a rich flame it will put out 2000 ppm of co, if you adjust it correctly it will put of 15ppm.

i'm thinking of selling the rig, how much do you think i could get for it?

Yes they sell Tubing Benders. Hardware store, Auto Parts, or Snap On. I have never had good luck with the spring benders, although others have. You would also need a flareing tool set. Sold in same places. The bending tool has sides that come up over the sides of the tube and a radius that matches the tube size so that the tube bends without kinking.

Another way I've also not had good luck with, but may be worth a try. Plug the end, fill with sand, plug other end, bend. The sand is supposed to keep the tube from kinking. Stainless tube of this size will be hard to bend without a tool I'd guess.

I bend stainless with Ridgid brand lever tubing benders without any problems, not your die cast aluminum brand tools. They cost me from $49 to $90 each depending on size.

Hey Nick, I have a brew stand that I want to convert over to an automated system like yours. I was wondering where you got the front panel, lcd displays, pilots, gas regulators, love controller and the thermowell for it?

I am a total noob when it comes to this type of an advanced design but I know a few people who might be able to help me put the dream into motion. Also, do you have a wiring schematic for this build? Any suggestions would be very helpful!

Once again, great looking rig! It is a pure thing of beauty and you are an inspiration to homebrewers everywhere.

thanks John,

here are some pics of the gas system, by Sat. i will have the cover on the console. i built a sheet metal console to hold all the controls and the i have a gas valve for all 3 burners sticking out of the console to.

more pics to come

br029.JPG

br030.JPG

br032.JPG

br031.JPG

This is amazing. do you have a parts list of some kind? I am curious about these gas valves.

Truly a thing of beauty. I have dreams of owning a rig like this. BTW, SWMBO walked by just now, stopped to see what I was going on about, and simply groaned and walked away.

Great job Nick and thanks for the pics!

Good Lord!! Very nice build Nick! So how much do you want for it??? I totally missed this in all my excitement, but is this a Propane or NG rig? If it's NG.....we may have to talk some more!

WOW, Nick!
This is the coolest thing I've ever seen anyone make!

Ya know, if you came up with a blueprint, parts list, etc., people would pay you for it, esp. ME!
I saw your dimension #'s for the stand, but is there ANY way you'd be able to provide more information?

Here's a picture of a hot chick to show my appreciation:

hot_chick.jpg

I just looked at the finished pics and involuntarily made the same sound Homer makes when he looks at donuts.

Truly a thing of beauty. I have dreams of owning a rig like this. BTW, SWMBO walked by just now, stopped to see what I was going on about, and simply groaned and walked away.

Great job Nick and thanks for the pics!

That makes me feel better as I thought I was the only one that gets in trouble with my brewing addiction by the SWMBO. I seem to see a pattern here, LMAO. BTW that's a great project.

That makes me feel better as I thought I was the only one that gets in trouble with my brewing addiction by the SWMBO. I seem to see a pattern here, LMAO. BTW that's a great project.

I think they just hate what they don't understand. To me, $150 worth of stainless is way better than a purse or a new shirt (or as they call it, a top). But they don't see it that way. After all, when has a purse made me beer?

What I've found is that it's better to spend more less often than the other way around. SWMBO can only flip out once rather than every week. Hell, I buy stuff I may need later just to avoid going back to the well.

I think they just hate what they don't understand. To me, $150 worth of stainless is way better than a purse or a new shirt (or as they call it, a top). But they don't see it that way. After all, when has a purse made me beer?

What I've found is that it's better to spend more less often than the other way around. SWMBO can only flip out once rather than every week. Hell, I buy stuff I may need later just to avoid going back to the well.

Hey that's what i've learned also is to buy one big item and let the storm blow over. I still have my magic Visa card that I get caught with when the bill comes in as the War Department pays the bills we try to pay it off ASAP screw those crazy intrest rates it's almost unlawful. Hey Big, you anywhere near Wirtz Va. I have a good bud on the Ford Truck forum living there? He's hammered with snow the worse in 20 years of living there. Stay on the warm side of the wall. Carl.

Hi Nick,
It looks like your rig was stainless steel in the photos. Is that 1.5" or 2" and what thickness? 1/16? 1/8?

Thanks!

BTW your PM box is full :) I tried to send you a PM but it said you had too many saved!

So do you tie into your NG setup at home and then you have to regulate the pressure down from there?

Yes, in my area the ng comes into my home at 7" wc the 2-gas valves have a built in regulater that then regulates it down to 3.5" wc.

that is why i have a regulator in the boil burner because i don't have a gas valve so i used a regulator instead.

like i have said in other posts, all appliances have built in regulators in there gas valves. dryers, furnaces, water heater and ranges, that why people can't get a good flame with hurricane burners on natural gas because they are run to high of pressure and they end up with a rich flame (yellow flame)

hope this helps

Nick

Hi Nick,
It looks like your rig was stainless steel in the photos. Is that 1.5" or 2" and what thickness? 1/16? 1/8?

Thanks!

BTW your PM box is full :) I tried to send you a PM but it said you had too many saved!

i used just mild steel, it is 1/16 inch wall, using anything thicker is a waste of money and it weighs a ton.

i have been in Mexico so i have not been on, am going to try and draw up the whole rig with the burner supports to scale.

thanks for all the props you guys have given me for the build, if you want any specific pics let me know, i have been busy with work but i will try to answer as soon as possible.

Nick

Yes, in my area the ng comes into my home at 7" wc the 2-gas valves have a built in regulater that then regulates it down to 3.5" wc.

that is why i have a regulator in the boil burner because i don't have a gas valve so i used a regulator instead.

like i have said in other posts, all appliances have built in regulators in there gas valves. dryers, furnaces, water heater and ranges, that why people can't get a good flame with hurricane burners on natural gas because they are run to high of pressure and they end up with a rich flame (yellow flame)

hope this helps

Nick

Yes it does thanks. I have the NG jet burners which are plugged to allow only the 8 opposing jets in the middle to operate and I am still getting about 40% yellow flame. A friend tells me we only have 2" (???) coming in and that if I add a regulator it will be worse. My thinking is that if I am running too rich I am getting too much gas and need to cut it back somehow. But I also wonder if I cut back the gas (being it is a jet type burner) will that cut back on the air it draws in from the bottom of the jet??

Could I just cut back on the main ball valve feeding my system and wide open on the valve to the burner?

Yes it does thanks. I have the NG jet burners which are plugged to allow only the 8 opposing jets in the middle to operate and I am still getting about 40% yellow flame. A friend tells me we only have 2" (???) coming in and that if I add a regulator it will be worse. My thinking is that if I am running too rich I am getting too much gas and need to cut it back somehow. But I also wonder if I cut back the gas (being it is a jet type burner) will that cut back on the air it draws in from the bottom of the jet??

Could I just cut back on the main ball valve feeding my system and wide open on the valve to the burner?

are you sure he didn't mean 2 pounds, some areas have 2 pounds coming into the home, then it gets bumped down to 7'' wc with a maxitrol regulator.

there are 28" of wc in 1 pound so if you are hooked up to 2 pounds that means that you have 48" wc, that is why to high.

do you know for sure that your jet burners are NG and not propane?

the jet burners i have seen have the air intake on each nozzle and are not adjustable, all NG burners are designed to run at 3.5" wc as far as i know.

where did you hook up to your NG?

P.S.

ball valves do not change the pressure of the gas, it only reduces the amount of gas, so that would not help

Nick, I tapped into the NG line after the meter which is after the regulator to the house so it is regulated to whatever the house pressure is. These are NG burners and run even worse if I leave all of the jets installed. I followed BobbyM's lead with my setup as far as the jets are concerned and it helped a lot. But lately, I seem to be having some challenges. Still much better then it was, but a long way from solid blue flames.
I am having a Brustus 10 type stand built and wanted to add the hurricane type you have possibly. Do you have links to the burners, regulators? Forgive me if you posted these already.

Thankfully my SWMBO is the Brew Mistress! I am in charge of equipment and dispensing... and of course the all important taste test. She saw this, just looked at me and said, "mother's day is Sunday, when are you going to build me this!" Plans, parts list and other details would be much appreciated. Thanks man.

Just so you hear it again... That is a Freaking Thing of Beauty!

First of all, outstanding build... Thanks for posting all of the great info along with pics, it's helped give me some ideas and create my brewrig blueprint.

I'm curious as to the casters you used, i was looking at some threadless casters and there is a big difference in pricing. I figured threadless casters would be good in case one needed to be replaced rather than the alternative of welding them on. I can get ones rated at 210lbs at the home depot for $8/per, or some at 450lbs for about $20 per.

We never did get to see this rig after it was completed and in operation. I was looking forward to seeing it with the kettles and control panel in place. I see Nick's last post in this thread was way back in February. I wonder what happened to him.

Back