My Bottom Freezer Kegerator Build- Tap Height?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrEggSandwich

Reaction score
Hey Hey!

So I'm ready to drill my holes for my 4 tap bottom freezer kegerator.

The fridge is 21 SF, I think I can get 5-6 cornys in there no problem, but will be starting with 4 taps.

Any thoughts on height? Does it matter? I thought I read something about height in relation to center of keg??? Thoughts are appreciated. I'm thinking about 3/4 way up the door. Leave room to write above (beer name) and room below for beer data.

Build Info/Specs/Notes:

-Fridge is a 21 SF Whirpool Bottom Freezer. I've always liked the bottom freezer...Taps up higher. Big ass freezer for hops.

-I have 2 coats magnetic primer on there now...Will hit it with 2 coats chalkboard paint after drilling holes.

-Will be installing 4 taps (3 Perlick 630SSs + 1 CMB V2G)..Taps in front.

-Have a new 20LB Co2 tank ready to roll, will be running line through side (Need to check to see where coils are)

-Bought a 4 tap kit from: http://www.kegconnection.com/......They made it very easy for schmuck like me....I went for all the bells and whistles (upgraded beer/gas lines). I think it's worth it in the long run. I like buying things once. Thanks guys. Great site.

Will try to post updates...Any thoughts/advice is appreciated!

Super excited for this! Mrs.EggSandwich and I will be moving into our first home together in 2 weeks, and it just so happens to have a 2 car detached garage that I will be building my home brewery in, and this baby will be in there!

Kegerator.jpg

It depends on your hight and who ever else will be using regularly. I would stand next to it with glass in hand and 'mock' pour. Then see where that hight puts you on the inside compared to where the shelves are and if u want to fudge up or down.

I like the idea of the fridge on top for accessibility, but how are these bottom-freezer kegerators holding up for y'all?

I assumed that there would be very little structural support between the freezer and fridge... it seems like the weight of 15+ gallons of beer would be a bit much.

Did y'all do any modifications to help with support?

I like the idea of the fridge on top for accessibility, but how are these bottom-freezer kegerators holding up for y'all?

I assumed that there would be very little structural support between the freezer and fridge... it seems like the weight of 15+ gallons of beer would be a bit much.

Did y'all do any modifications to help with support?

Hey man.....I have had no issues putting 3-4 full kegs in my bottom freezer kegerator. Might not be a bad idea to fit some plywood inside for additional support....I wouldn't slam any kegs down on top, but again, I have had no issues.

Awesome. Thanks for the update! I'd love to see pics of the inside if you have them. No worries, if not.

Here you go....Just realized I started this thread 4 years ago! Pics attached...Highly recommend 20Lb Co2 bottle and the tubing grommet (racecar firewall grommet)

Attachments

• IMG-0641.jpg
    IMG-0641.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 93
  • IMG-0640.jpg
    IMG-0640.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 94
  • IMG-0639.jpg
    IMG-0639.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 90
  • IMG-0638.jpg
    IMG-0638.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 86
  • IMG-0637.jpg
    IMG-0637.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 85
  • Fridgeside.jpg
    Fridgeside.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 84
fwiw, I use 1/4" mfl-mfl bulkheads on my fridges and keezer for gas runs. 4" versions for the fridges and panel versions for the keezer (mounted through the back edge of the lid)...

1593566229468.png

Cheers!

Back