My bottles are gonna Blow! Lil help...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meatwad

Reaction score
So I posted this pic about a week ago. I racked about a Gallon of a pale ale onto some fresh cherries for one week. When I took the hydro, the gravity was fine, but there was a certain about of CO2 dissolved in the beer already, prior to bottling.

photo%25252829%252529.JPG

I went ahead and primed and bottled anyway. Went to test one beer last night, they've been in the bottle for one week. There was no hisss.... instead it was more of a loud hiss POP! sound when I went to open, and an immediate gusher.

Could certainly be over-carbed, or a bacteria. Or both. My question however is this. I leave for 2 weeks tomorrow, and I'd like to NOT come home to blown bottles all over the bathroom. There are only 8 bottles.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Meatwad

Only 8 bottles? Put them in a rubbermaid container, a cooler, or even a kitchen trash can with a lid. You may be fine, opening this early the CO2 hasn't had much time to dissolve but best to avoid shrapnel just in case.

Put them in a rubbermaid box for easy cleanup :) Was the bottle chilled before you opened it? The CO2 will dissolve in the beer as aging progresses. Gushing is typical for a bottle that young in the process.

I have also heard of putting them in a refrigerator to slow down priming, but this would require a much longer aging.

Thanks dudes.

I've opened bottles at one week, always as a test measurement. However, I have never heard the pop...seemed to be some pressure there.

Thanks again!
Into the rubbermaid they go

sounds potentially dangerous... always chill your bottles at least 1 day before 'measuring' carbonation... otherwise you aren;t measuring anything but headspace.

Back