My Blow-off tube sucks...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ciphin78

Reaction score
Really.

I was in a rush to cold crash my oktoberfest Ale before kegging and I put it in the fridge and suck the blow-tube in a pitcher of tap water (first time i've done it this way). Why did you not use an airlock, you say? Cus' I'm a busy mo-fo and that was the easiest option in front of me. Anyway, the blow off tube was small enough that the temp difference once everything cooled caused enough of a vacuum that most of the pitcher of water was sucked right into the beer. It was a small pitcher and i'm thinking as long as i keep things cold from cold crashing to kegging to the kezer that I should be okay. Thoughts?

Thanks guys.

I know I should have used the s-shape air lock, and I usually do. In this instance I didn't have the chance due to life and whatever... You guys think I'll be okay?

The beer is ruined. Ship it to me and I will dispose if it properly throughout the month of October (the way it would have wanted to go out).

I've sucked in a quart of iodophor solution and it was 100% not noticeable, even side-by-side with a second batch of the same recipe that did not suck back. My only concern would be chlorine in the tap water or bacteria. I bet you're fine.

In case anyone was wondering, this beer sucks. It has a very odd off flavor that I can describe as almost sweet metallic. As none of my other beers have had this I'm going to say its because of my screw up.

This doesn't make sense to me. You had time to set up a blow off tube, but didn't have time to put in an air lock because you are so busy? What am I missing?

I use star san in airlocks and when using blow off tube just for that reason.

This doesn't make sense to me. You had time to set up a blow off tube, but didn't have time to put in an air lock because you are so busy? What am I missing?

Doesn't matter if it makes sense or not, that's the way it went down. The blow off tube was set up on brew day. The move to cold crash was days later...when I just so happen to be really busy, so I just threw the whole thing in the fridge.

Doesn't matter if it makes sense or not, that's the way it went down. The blow off tube was set up on brew day. The move to cold crash was days later...when I just so happen to be really busy, so I just threw the whole thing in the fridge.

Lesson learned I guess.... find an additionaly 63 seconds in your day to put in the airlock.

I am just giving you crap by the way.... :)

We're good :)

This just means I'll have to make it again (sans foul-up) and see what it's really supposed to taste like.

Latest posts

Back