My birthday is coming up - want recommendation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toddrod

Reaction score
As the title says, my birthday is coming up on Nov 1 and I want to purchase 2 kits of something as a present to myself. I am leaning toward a Barleywine and a Belgian Trippel. I have not brewed either of these before.

I would like a recommendation on a really good extract or AG kit from AHS, Northern Brewer or Midwest or a recommendation from the recipe data base here on HBT.

Thank for any help in advance

Well, if you want to make a barley wine or trippel, you would also want a quick turn-around beer for while you wait. AHS has a high-rated Bavarian Hefeweizen, which i've made before with outstanding results. From the HBT database, you might want to look into EdWort's Haus Pale Ale and/or Orfy's Mild Mannered Ale

Oh I have plenty to drink while I wait. Right now in the keezer is a Kolsch and Cream Ale. Fermenting I have a Wheat, Honey Nut Brown, Scottish 80, Chocolate Oatmeal Stout and Rye beer. These will all be kegged in 10 days. In bottle I have AHS Double Chocolate Cherry Stout, Nut Brown, Fat Tire Clone and a Cream Ale.

Oh I have plenty to drink while I wait. Right now in the keezer is a Kolsch and Cream Ale. Fermenting I have a Wheat, Honey Nut Brown, Scottish 80, Chocolate Oatmeal Stout and Rye beer. These will all be kegged in 10 days. In bottle I have AHS Double Chocolate Cherry Stout, Nut Brown, Fat Tire Clone and a Cream Ale.

Good man :mug:

If you want to do an extract, I'd go with the Bourbon Barrel Porter from northern brewer. It is AWESOME. And no, it's not a mistake when the directions call for 16oz of Makers Mark in secondary!

I don't have a suggestion but I'd like to say that since it's your B-day it gives me an excuse to drink!!!:D :drunk:

Yay!!! Happy Birthday :tank:

If you want to do an extract, I'd go with the Bourbon Barrel Porter from northern brewer. It is AWESOME. And no, it's not a mistake when the directions call for 16oz of Makers Mark in secondary!

I have been thinking of doing this kit since I started brewing... you should do that one.

OK, so my birthday came and past. I ended up ordering the Phyte Tire clone from Northern Brewer and a Belgian Trippel from Austin Homebrew. Forrest even has a Belgian Quadrupel in his recipe list. I went extract this time so I can do a 2 batch brew day and not take all day to do it. I will bottle the Trippel and keg the Fat Tire clone.

After this, I am thinking about doing a nice dark lager (BOCK) since I now have a second chest freezer to ferment in.

Any recommendations from the board?

Back