My Big Oops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Munster51

Reaction score
Made my first Mead, a BOMM, on 1/22/16. So yesterday, I get my kid to help.
First mistake; I asked my 11 year old to get me the container that had DAP written in tape on the lid. She likes to help, so I tell her to measure out 1/4 tsp and add it in as I was taking my wisk upstairs.
Second mistake; Not making sure the kids were put on correctly after she helped me last time.

Evidently, the DAP and Potassium Sorbate lids got switched.

The good news, I have gone from 1.100 to 1.054.

The bad news is, it was 1.052 when I checked today.

I am hoping my yeasties can eat some more honey before the K SorbAte fully does it's job.

Chances are they will be fine. With honey being kind of expensive, it might be worth pitching some more yeast to try to salvage it, along with a lot of nutrients and a little bit of energizer. This is definitely a RDWHAHB moment, aside from what I mentioned there isnt a whole lot you can do, but it will more than likely turn out okay!

I assume I will not be able to repurchase the yeast from this batch because of the potassium sorbate.

With sorbate by itself (no cold crash or sulfites), an active 1388 will probably blow past it like its not there. No worries!

Latest posts

Back