My beer shelf collapsed!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EricK The Red

Reaction score
I have a metal closet shelf that I've used to support full carboys with much success until today. I was adding a 6 gal better bottle full of Apfelwein when *CRASH*!!!

I caught the shelf and saved every single carboy (5gal ESB, 5gal Apfelwein & 3gal Apfelwein). Luckily SWMBO was in the room when it happened or I'd still be in the closet holding up that shelf! I just bottled a batch of Brown Ale yesterday, it would have been on that shelf too...

Ferment.jpg

Dude, are you freakin' insane? Those shelves are meant to hold a half-dozen freakin' sweaters, not thirteen freakin' gallons (or was that nineteen?) of fermenting liquid goodness!

I mean, DUDE!...... I hate to say it, and I'm sincerely, glad you're not hurt...

But that's freakin' Darwin-Award material, my friend... :eek:

EricK The Red said:
I caught the shelf and saved every single carboy (5gal ESB, 5gal Apfelwein & 3gal Apfelwein).

My God - you're a superhero. That's amazing. Will you come talk to my grade six class and sign autographs?

Wow, talk about being in the right place at the right time. But those shelves definitely aren't rated for that weight, the same shelves in my closet collapsed with just the weight of my clothes once.

the_bird said:
Dude, are you freakin' insane? Those shelves are meant to hold a half-dozen freakin' sweaters, not thirteen freakin' gallons (or was that nineteen?) of fermenting liquid goodness!

I mean, DUDE!...... I hate to say it, and I'm sincerely, glad you're not hurt...

But that's freakin' Darwin-Award material, my friend... :eek:

Mine had five reinforcement (45deg support) arms, and I've had more weight on it than that in the past.

The parts that hold it into the back wall are what eventually failed. Yes, I was dumb to think that shelf would last...:drunk:

I guess my fermenters can't fall off the floor.

First and foremost, i'm glad that you (and the kids) are a-ok.

Second: You must be as strong as an ox, because that is a lot of stuff to scramble onto without breaking anything.

Third: I remember a previous thread and people told you that was going to break. :cross:

I had shelves just like that, and what I did to hold the weight was for the back braces, bought some of those copper pipe holder thingees people use to attach 1/2" pipe to walls, and screwed it into each wall stud with wall screws.

EvilTOJ said:
I had shelves just like that, and what I did to hold the weight was for the back braces, bought some of those copper pipe holder thingees people use to attach 1/2" pipe to walls, and screwed it into each wall stud with wall screws.

I'll be using the floor for a while...

MriswitH said:
First and foremost, i'm glad that you (and the kids) are a-ok.

Second: You must be as strong as an ox, because that is a lot of stuff to scramble onto without breaking anything.

Third: I remember a previous thread and people told you that was going to break. :cross:

The shelf tilted forward and lucky for me, the wall was supporting some of the weight.

Lucky, lucky, lucky...and stupid at the same time. :eek:

EricK The Red said:
Mine had five reinforcement (45deg support) arms, and I've had more weight on it than that in the past.

not to be a smart a$$ but I don't see any 45* angle braces in that picture...

glad you saved your brew... nothing worse than loosing all your work in a blink of an eye.

BraeHaus said:
not to be a smart a$$ but I don't see any 45* angle braces in that picture...

glad you saved your brew... nothing worse than loosing all your work in a blink of an eye.

Look to the right of the thermometer and against the right wall, you should see two of them.

EricK The Red said:
Look to the right of the thermometer and against the right wall, you should see two of them.

Dude..... for future reference, those are WAY not robust enough to handle that amount of weight. Plus, it's even more relevant what you were using to secure them to the wall. You can get anchors that will support a decent amount of weight even on dryway, but you should also have had brackets that were WAY bigger than those.

I'm sorry, but this could have been really, really bad (like, if they fell on your SWMBO? :eek:)

No really, those shelves could easilly support that much weight. Just make a complex network of 4x4 posts completely supporting the flimsy metal shelving. It will be fine!

the right side of hte shelf has bend in it!!! you've got some bad engineering going on there. its science! glad you saved the beer : )

Good save Erik. :tank:

I think he's learned a lesson all on his own, no use in beating him up over it now.

Personally I keep my fermenters in the spare bathroom shower, if I had a blowout, there would be less of a mess to clean up.

Back