My beer is fermenting, but there are no bubbles and smells like bread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aleiexjr

Reaction score
Hello there!

Last week I started brewing my first batch of beer, I chose Cooper's Wheat hopped extract and followed the instructions. However, there are no bubbles in my airlock, when I checked it I could smell the beer and it smells like bread dough and also my hidrometer readings haven't changed a bit (started at O.G.=1.0031 and today (a week after) it is at 1.0030). It is fermenting at 75.2ºF (24ºC) in a dark quiet environment at constant temperature.

Should I keep waiting or is it ruined? I read somewhere that I could shake it a bit, what do you think?

Thank you very much! :mug:

That's a bit warm to ferment at but at that temp it should be going like rockets.

Tell us your complete procedure in making the kit including the tempertures you pitched the yeast at. Aeration etc.

I'm sure he's just got an extra "0" in there. Probably meant 1.031 and 1.030.

Question for you, how do you know its fermenting? Especially with no hydrometer readings and no bubbling. I didn't see where you mentioned the yeast you used. Was there a date on the package for either the manufacture or expiration date?

You seriously think the guy is reading the difference between 1.0030 and 1.0031.

Sure. If the OP had a high precision hydrometer to accomplish that task. Or who's to say he didn't use analytical balance and a 1 mL pipet?

Without the hydro reading you can't tell if anything is going. Seems like the best place to start troubleshooting. Or we could go straight to yeast viability. All good. :mug:

Or who's to say he didn't use analytical balance and a 1 mL pipet?

Me. It's obvious what he meant.

Seems to me like you probably killed the yeast. Also, 1.031 seems too low to me. Did you add anything besides extract? How big was the batch? What was the temp of the wort when you added the yeast and how did you do it?

Well, I'm using a standard amateur hidrometer and I'm pretty sure it reads 1.0030. Yesterday I took a new sample and It seems to be the same brew I had the very first day. I'm guessing the yeast that came with my kit was dead, although when I proofed It there was foam (but not as much as when I proof baking yeast).

I also think that I may have killed the yeast. I'm sorry for dissapointing some of you, but I didn't use any lab equipment to brew XD

Besides the extract I added 3 cups of sugar to a 5.5 gal (as the kit indicated) but I have it fermenting in two carboils. When I added the yeast (wich had a manufacturing date from 2007) the water was at 37ºC (98.6ºF), there was foam after a while, but not as much as when I proof baking yeast (I also love bread!).

I thought there were some fermentation signs because there was a bit of foam on top of my brew a few days ago, but it's gone now, there is also a bit of sediment.

I also think that I may have killed the yeast. I'm sorry for dissapointing some of you, but I didn't use any lab equipment to brew XD

Besides the extract I added 3 cups of sugar to a 5.5 gal (as the kit indicated) but I have it fermenting in two carboils. When I added the yeast (wich had a manufacturing date from 2007) the water was at 37ºC (98.6ºF), there was foam after a while, but not as much as when I proof baking yeast (I also love bread!).

I thought there were some fermentation signs because there was a bit of foam on top of my brew a few days ago, but it's gone now, there is also a bit of sediment.

2007? I bet there is your problem.

Yes, and 37C is very hot to pitch your yeast. For beer yeast, you need to wait until 20C (or the temp you plan to ferment at) so that you don't shock or kill the yeast. You got another packet lying around? If not, you've learned the lesson to always have a backup yeast around :)

Back