My beer has no head

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fire943

Reaction score
I bottled my first batch muntons IPA bitter's on march 6th. I used 1/2 cup of corn sugar. I placed in the fridge yesterday and poured, no head. :( I guess I didn't use enough sugar. Is there a way to fix this? or should I just be more patient? On a good note, I brewed a batch of Kolsch yesterday. My reading on the hydrometer was 1.053. Very excited :rockin:

I am new at this too. I have 1 in secondary now and will bottle next weekend. I too will try 1 at 2 weeks. Being my first brew I want experience the beer getting better over time. Try Tuesday this coming week and see if it's any better, then try one next weekend and it should be better than the last.

Did it taste like it was carbonated? Just to increase your knowledge, oils and soap residue will kill a beer's head retention. If its carbonated when you drink it, but has no head, it might have come in contact with some soap/oil.

Most likely you just need to give it another week or two.

2 words, cara pils, i use it in almost every brew. i started using it in my third brew and that was one of my best beers, so its kinda like my rabbits foot. it helps with head retention and adds some mouth feel, with little color and taste modification.

-nick

Also did you give the brew a good mixing after adding the sugar?

Maybe some bottles just got more sugar than others and you opened a bottle that got less.

Pouring technique can also affect head. When I first started, I was extra careful not to let yeast get in my glass. I poured so slow and just let the beer trickle down the side of my glass -no head.

Also did you give the brew a good mixing after adding the sugar?

My last brew didn't end up with much head, and the above quote describes exactly why. I had read that you should pour the priming sugar into the bottling bucket as you're racking it, which would mix it without adding much air to the beer. This advice turned out to be moot.

Back