My beer has no bubbles!!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mawa

Reaction score
Hi guys!

4 weeks ago I bottled a Blonde Ale that i bought at Austin Homebrew. The brew day went along fine and I did't have any problems. I put it in primary and after 2 weeks transfered it to secondary.

For one reason or another, the brew sat in secondary for 5 weeks when i finally had the time to bottle using the priming sugar provided with the kit. I've opened a bottle every week since then, the last one being this past weekend, and it just doesn't have any carbonation (there's a psssts when i open it but not enough to even form any foam). The brew is very tasty and I would really be sad if I had to throw it away.

What can I do?
- Just wait?
- Open all the bottles, empty them in the bottling bucket put some yeast and rebottle (it seems like a lot of trouble but I'm willing to do it to save it!)?
- Open each bottle and put a pinch of yeast in each and recap?
- Go out, buy a box of tissues to wipe my tears when I'm flushing it down the sink?

Thanks in advance for yout help!
Mawa

Is is warm enough where you have your bottles conditioning? I know that my basement is warm enough to condition bottles in the summer, but definitely is not warm enough in winter. This time of year my bottles spend a couple of weeks in the warmest room of the house.

If you don't want to open them and add stuff (I would be afraid of that) maybe give them all a swirl to rouse up the yeast. Is there sediment visible at the bottom of the bottles?

Sometimes you just need to be patient, too. Maybe just forget about them for a few weeks.

mawa said:
Hi guys!

4 weeks ago I bottled a Blonde Ale that i bought at Austin Homebrew. The brew day went along fine and I did't have any problems. I put it in primary and after 2 weeks transfered it to secondary.

For one reason or another, the brew sat in secondary for 5 weeks when i finally had the time to bottle using the priming sugar provided with the kit. I've opened a bottle every week since then, the last one being this past weekend, and it just doesn't have any carbonation (there's a psssts when i open it but not enough to even form any foam). The brew is very tasty and I would really be sad if I had to throw it away.

What can I do?
Drink it flat.
Or just wait some more...

I've got an Old Ale that's as flat as can be. It tastes good, so I'm drinkin' it.

I would put a few in a warm place.....perhaps on top of your refrigerator for a couple of days. The pssst....should be a good indication that you have some yeast activity, so it may just be a waiting game, or a change in conditions to make it a little more favorable for the yeast.

Thanks for the replies!

I think I'm going to do what mjm76 suggests.....just place it in a warmer place and be patient.....I'll try it again this weekend

Thanks!
Mawa

My first batch, an American pale ale, took quite a while to carbonate. It's been 5 weeks since bottling and it's finally getting good bubbles.

Same thing happened to me with a batch I bottled 2 months ago. If you are CERTAIN that you added enough priming sugar and mixed it evenly, just gently shake/swirl the bottles to resuspend the yeast. Move the bottles to a warmer spot and give them 2-3 weeks. I have done this to a couple batches now, and every one has been carbonated fully.

One note -- I have also tried 're-priming' beers with carbonation drops/PrimeTabs. If you do this - beware of adding those drops to partially carbonated beer - you will cause an instant gusher if you don't de-carbonate them first! (I.e., then give the bottle a gentle shake to release suspended CO2, GENTLY pry the cap open just enough to release the pressure, let sit for a bit, and THEN add the carb drops.) Chilling the beer also helps to avoid a gusher when you add the drops.

mawa said:
It is warm enough I think...where it is, its gotta be between 60 and 70 at all times

Well, its actually important, is it near 60 or 70? I had a Belgian that sat in the secondary for 2 months. Had it in bottles and after 3-4 weeks at 64-65 degrees, it was still flat. A good two weeks at 69 degrees and it was carbonated.

It's closer to 60 during the day when the house in empty and i turn of the heater and closer to 70 duting night when the heater is on....

I did swirl all of the bottles at the begining of the week and placed 6 of them close to my water heater. I'm going to try againd today and see what happens....anyway, i have two 6 packs of sam adams brown ale and another one of 2 Below as a safety net!

Happy weekend!

GregKelley said:
... A good two weeks at 69 degrees and it was carbonated.

I agree. My English Ale was down stairs at 64 for two weeks....NOTHING.

I moved it to an upstairs southside bedroom where the temp is always around 72.

Two weeks later it was nicely carbonated. The temperature makes all the difference.

This is my third batch
making a Cooper IPA (3.75#)with xtra cascade and wilamette hops ( I live in washington so They are right off the vine)
and 2 # LME

It has been in the bottle for 3 weeks barely a hint of carbonation. I used carb tabs this round, instead of priming sugar, 4 tabs per 12 oz. has never dropped below 65 deg.

Tastes sweet and yeasty

Waiting it out and see,

Good luck

Primary: another funny honey IPA:rockin:

Some good info here. My first batch (american amber ale) is about a week from bottling and I've been curious about the necessary conditions for bottling.

Back