My beer, from brewday to sitting in front of TV enjoying

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine's clear & has a sort of smooth cleaness to the flavor. I'll know more when it's ready. Carbed it to American Dark Lager style,2.6 volumes of co2,which is middle of the road for the style.
The gravity thing is interesting. Combined with color,I'd say they wanna be twins! ;) So far,I think you're right about the BMC crowd liking this one. It does seem to be tending that way so far...:mug:

Ha! lolz. Makes me think of the one National Treasure movies with the two Statues of Liberty on opposite sides of the Atlantic facing each other. In this case,beer drinkers & hell raisers!

Deed is done.... Racked to secondary for bulk lagering :). Sanitation was good, the FV Was soaked in sanitizer and I let the solution run through all tubes etc.
lagering for 5 wks (1040 OG but was expecting 1047/88) )then into bottles.
Scored a 24 case of 500ml flip top bottles, happy days :)

Temp at time of racking 50f

Temp being lowered to 33f in Ferm chamber (probe attached to secondary vessel)

Twilight delight!!! Good one

Since the colour is that bit lighter, I likey...
Ill wait till I bottle before naming this "mistake" :)

Yeah,that's basically what I did. The pic is from my digicam that my middle son took. It made me think of the old saying pop heard in the navy. " Red in the morning,sailor take warning. Red at night,sailor's delight". Since one would normally enjoy it after work at the end of the day,I came up with the name.

Waiting.....waiting waiting

I hate this part, especially when you know it tastes good. If the wife likes it then the "devils's angel" will be born otherwise it'll be the "Atlantic Twin" :)

Hmmm...Atlantic Twin. Makes me think of that Nick Cage movie about lost treasure again. Cool. I wish it'd be ready for my b-day Sunday,which is also easter (again,finally). But oh well. Gotta take an FG sample of the light one today to see if that stuck gravity went down. judging by the airlock,it's possible that the last few points knocked down. Washing out some jars to save the yeast in till I can find a 1 gallon jar to wash it all in. Dang,I wish it was ready already...:drunk:

I really hope the roast comes through for you, as it adds a fantastic element to this beer. I conditioned the 1st batch for 3 1/2- 4 wks, at 20c, before fridge time. Mine is still lagering for 2 more weeks then bottle & condition, then fridge, then DRINK.
Ill be conditioning them alongside 'NCBeernuts' deception cream stout I'm about to do. Trying to get the pipeline back up n running after a 6 month dry up.

Yeah,me too. I got my lighter colored hybrid lager botled on 4/2. And I'll be brewing an NZ IPA PM next. I'll know Saturday if any roastiness comes through,much less any smoke from the rauchmalt. So far I think the rauchmalt in the small amount used added to the roatiness a tiny bit. We'll see in a couple days...

Bottling this baby on Monday :)

I haven't looked at it in 5 wks, just kept the temp stable between 33-34 f. Hope nothing went wrong inside the precious vessel :p

I hope all goes well for your batch. I gotta put some more of mine in the fridge. Trying to crush the grains with an overheating mini food processor for my NZ IPA PM. Def need a real crusher...

unionrdr said:
I hope all goes well for your batch. I gotta put some more of mine in the fridge. Trying to crush the grains with an overheating mini food processor for my NZ IPA PM. Def need a real crusher...

Plan is to bottle and then condition for at least 3 weeks. Meanwhile ill be brewing a stout (meant to do last week) and fermenting at the same temp as the bottles are conditioning (20c) utilising the space in the chamber :)
I got a corona mill which works pretty well for the price

I wanna get that one from midwest called the barley crusher. Like $130 bucks or so,with 7lb hopper & a crank handle mounted on a wood base. It's made to fit on top of a 5 gallon bucket. I happened to have a home depot 5G one to use with it. My dark lager hybrid def tastes better after some 4 weeks at 70 or more,with 1 week fridge time. The haulertauer & saaz are coming through,mixed with that bit of crispness from the WL029 yeast I used. Got a bunch of jars of that yeast in the fridge. And it's def nice & clear with a lot of head at this point. Drank one this morning with scrambled eggs & beans. Thick head,clear with nice fine bubbled carbonation already. Crisp with smooth spiciness was quite good on a chilly morning.

unionrdr said:
I wanna get that one from midwest called the barley crusher. Like $130 bucks or so,with 7lb hopper & a crank handle mounted on a wood base. It's made to fit on top of a 5 gallon bucket. I happened to have a home depot 5G one to use with it. My dark lager hybrid def tastes better after some 4 weeks at 70 or more,with 1 week fridge time. The haulertauer & saaz are coming through,mixed with that bit of crispness from the WL029 yeast I used. Got a bunch of jars of that yeast in the fridge. And it's def nice & clear with a lot of head at this point. Drank one this morning with scrambled eggs & beans. Thick head,clear with nice fine bubbled carbonation already. Crisp with smooth spiciness was quite good on a chilly morning.

Good to hear!! It likes a decent time to condition and let the flavours develop. I'm just a little disappointed in the colour but like I said it might turn the locals into homebrew lovers :)

Good to hear!! It likes a decent time to condition and let the flavours develop. I'm just a little disappointed in the colour but like I said it might turn the locals into homebrew lovers :)

Yeah,it def needed that 4th week or so to more fully develope the flavors. 1 week fridge time gave decent carb & great head. It kept a thick veneer head all the way to the bottom of the glass this morning. But I have to agree that the lighter brown clear color might well be more appealing to the BMC crowd. The lighter colored hybrid lager has been in bottles 18 days today. Curious to find out how it'll be. So it seems that these lager/kolsh type beers def need a bit more time to develope. I'm working on a modified version of the dark lager recipe to more fully develope it into an American rouchbeir sort of thing. I'm hoping the increased amount of chocolate malt with the others will produce a sort of smokehouse nut kind of thing. But ll I get to it. gotta brew my NZ IPA tomorrow. Wanna get some summer brews going.

Damn bottling day got f'd up before it started. Was sterilising my bottling wand when the spring popped out, you think I could fix it.....NO

Decided to brew instead, OUT OF F'ing GAS

My bottling wand doesn't have the spring,& I don't miss it. Got the PM NZ IPA brewd last Sunday,& it's bubbling constantly at the moment.:ban:

Well I'm back, after NOT bottling this last may, I started up the pub and haven't had time to spare, every time I planned on bottling something/someone needed dealing with. Now I've decided to keg this as I managed to get a couple of 30l kegs and gas from one of the brewery's. This is my 1st time kegging so I'll probably f**k it up. Plan is tomorrow

Sent from my C6903 using Home Brew mobile app

I'm still trying to catch up with bills & car repairs to brew 3 more batches of those hybrid lagers. Shooting for payday 1/31...

Well here it is after one really really long time....
It's 3 wks conditioning etc. It's not bad, it has sone of the roastiness left and is light (errors on brewday). I'm surprised after 18mths lagering. There are 35/6 pints left to drink so I encouraged a few friends to help brew beernuts "decreption cream stout" tomorrow night. It's light enough not to offend and different enough to introduce them to the magical world of turning water into beer 🍻

1412714593840.jpg

Looks darn nice to me!

I'm being harsh, it's nice but because I left it so long I lost the roastiness that really made this beer...on the upshot I hope to induct a couple of lads to home brew, using this beer, and brewing a stout tnite. Inoffensive and different at the same time.

Wasn't commenting on your attitude or whatever. Just like the look of the place & the beer. I need a better place to take my beer pics.

Wasn't commenting on your attitude or whatever. Just like the look of the place & the beer. I need a better place to take my beer pics.

I know you weren't, and it turned out fine just not what I expected...

Back