My basement got more entertaining

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blizz81

Reaction score
Been bottling for 8 years. Last year, had my third incident of a beer wake up and eat more points once we bottled (despite lengthy stays in ferm - mostly quickly-floccing yeasts). Also brewed a Bourbon County Vanilla Rye "clone" that tasted great but still pretty much had zero carb after 5 months in bottles.

Those two incidents along with getting a 5gal keg of a quad we brewed with a local brewery after winning a homebrew contest finally pushed me into kegging. (It also helped that I got laid off, found work within a month, and got about 4 months of severance).

I had saved a fridge in case this happened. I quickly learned that without a heating bulb, it's hard to hold 41*F in the garage in the dead of winter, so inside it came. Ah well, this will make it easier to pull a draw while playing pinball...

kegerator.JPG

Awesome. It's great to have a kegerator! I haven't had an issue with my temp dropping too low with my kegerator in the garage through the winter. I can turn the fridge off for weeks and the beer is still pretty cold and the carb is not off.

I had originally thought about moving my kegerator into the basement. But that would have meant walking up and down 10-12 stairs to pull a pint. Going into the garage is so much easier for me as the kegerator is about 8-feet away from the kitchen door.

Been bottling for 8 years. Last year, had my third incident of a beer wake up and eat more points once we bottled (despite lengthy stays in ferm - mostly quickly-floccing yeasts). Also brewed a Bourbon County Vanilla Rye "clone" that tasted great but still pretty much had zero carb after 5 months in bottles.

Those two incidents along with getting a 5gal keg of a quad we brewed with a local brewery after winning a homebrew contest finally pushed me into kegging. (It also helped that I got laid off, found work within a month, and got about 4 months of severance).

I had saved a fridge in case this happened. I quickly learned that without a heating bulb, it's hard to hold 41*F in the garage in the dead of winter, so inside it came. Ah well, this will make it easier to pull a draw while playing pinball...

Nice job. Better indoors anyway. Who wants to trudge into a cold garage every time to get a beer when it's comfy inside?

Back