My BadAss Brewstand single tier/keggle build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vince805

Reaction score
Let me start by saying, yes the stand was built by Kurt at BrewSteel but I am putting everything else together and have learned a ton from this site which is why I put it in the DIY forum.

The Stand
Custom built to my needs, it is 6' wide a hint over 37" tall (~61" top of keggle height). It has 2 pump mounts and 1 plate chiller mount. There is room beneath the burners to hold the keggles for storage. The burner shrouds and small burner adapters made mounting the burners very easy and very easy to adjust height.

IMG_20120601_160050.jpg

There is also a mash dumper on it!
IMG_20120601_160144.jpg

This stand is awesome and I can't wait for my first brew day with it. I will update this thread with pics as I finish up the gas lines and keggles, and the eventually with pics from brew day.

Keggles
My keggles are almost complete. I am using parts from brewhardware and bargainfittings. I need to sand the last bit on 2 of them and the outsides will be complete.

Pumps
Using one March and one Chugger. I have never used either. I had purchased the March from Austin a couple weeks ago and when I started threading the camlock on it it cross threaded a bit at first. After that I decided I wanted the stainless head for the second pump so I went with the Chugger.

Plate Chilller
KegCowboy 40 plate, Ground water here is pretty cold all year long so I am expecting quick cool down times with this. I had been using a an immersion chiller on 5 gallon batches before and it would take about ~15 minutes to cool down. We will be doing both 5 and 10 gallon with the new brew stand and hope to be under 10 minutes for cool down.

That's the quick run down. I have just about everything I need (except orifices, control box switches, last bulkhead) and just need to take the time to finish the keggles and then wire up the pumps to a little control box. Hoping to be able to brew next weekend or the weekend after.

I highly recommend Kurt at BrewSteel. He goes out of his way to give you as much information as you can handle. Very knowledgeable and skilled. If you havent seen his stuff check out the site, he also has DIY products for adding onto your own stand.

Both Brewhardware and Bargainfittings are super quick shippers and provide great products at great prices.

Is that a comfortable height to work with the kegs at? I'm trying to plan out my stand.

Thanks
Mark

Bachhus said:
Is that a comfortable height to work with the kegs at? I'm trying to plan out my stand.

Thanks
Mark

I haven't used it yet, but it seems fine. I am 5`10 and can look into the kegs without tippy toeing. seems like it will work fine for me.

Thanks, I like how you had it designed so you can store the kegs under it. Nice touch.

This looks awesome, this is exactly what I want. I am just curious - how many inches of free space between the burners do you have there? Also, are you using 2 10" burners and 1 6" burner?

This looks awesome, this is exactly what I want. I am just curious - how many inches of free space between the burners do you have there? Also, are you using 2 10" burners and 1 6" burner?

There is ~9" between the edges of the burner shrouds, is that what you were asking for?

I am using 2 6" burners (HLT/MLT) and 1 10" (BK).

Here's a pic from today with the 3 keggles.

ForumRunner_20120605_212951.jpg

I started the pump control box, about half way done with it and just waiting on the orifices to finish hooking up the burners. After those 2 things I'll be all set to brew!

I pickup my stand from Kurt on Saturday. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I will enjoy mine.

Awesome! You making the drive up there? I took the 5 and it was the most boring drive ever, but no traffic!

Can't wait to see some pics of your stand when you get it going! I was hoping to break it in in this weekend, but now it looks like fathers day weekend is when I'll have everything ready to go.

I saw pics of your stand in the making on BrewSteel's Facebook page. Very nice looking final product!
I was actually looking into building my stand (whenever I decide to get a welder!) in the same way of being able to store my kegs underneath. So it's good to see a real example of what was in my brain.

Awesome! You making the drive up there? I took the 5 and it was the most boring drive ever, but no traffic!

Can't wait to see some pics of your stand when you get it going! I was hoping to break it in in this weekend, but now it looks like fathers day weekend is when I'll have everything ready to go.

Yes, driving up and back same day on the 5. I just noticed you are in Oxnard, we need to do a couple of brew day's. One on yours and another on mine.

Back