My attempt at brewing a Golden Monkey Clone (Victory Brewing)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irontodd

Reaction score
about 2 weeks ago, I starteda Golden Monkey Clone, based off Denny's Homage to Golden monkey https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=29051.0

the brew day went pretty well, although when I added my grain to the strike water, I didn't end up at 150 for my mash. I was at 160. I expected approximately a 8 degree drop per the brewers friend calculator, which I got, but I misread my thermometer (I saw 158 when it actually said 168). I do recall misreading the thermometer at other times that day. (no I wasn't consuming yet I just apparently don't know how to read a thermometer lol). Anyways I let the temp naturally fall down to 150. this took 43 minutes. I then kicked the burner on low and easily maintained 150 for the remaining 17 minutes of my 60 minute mash. Boil Gravity was on target, actually 3 points higher than targeted. Target OG 1.081, I was right about 1.081, maybe a touch higher but not 1.082. I ended up with an extra half gallon more than expected (I didn't factor in starter volume). so overall efficiency was good. Into the ferm chamber @68 degrees, intentionally letting it rise as high as 72 to get a bit more of the banana flavor. (I didn't see a fermentation profile anywhere on the webs for this brew, so I just guessed). My current gravity is 1.022. Target was 1.011.

I am going to give it a few more days at 68 degrees after a swirl this morning to see if it falls any further, but my thinking is that due to the fact that my mash temp started so high I probably have some unfermentable sugars in there and don't expect it to change. is my assumption there possibly correct?

If it is true that my gravity is as low as its going to get due to high initial mash temp, I ask this question: In the future, if I mash in too high, would more time at the target temp break down those unfermentables into something more fermentable? I don't even know if that's chemically possible. do sugars continue to break down at the lower temps?

Thanks in advance,
Iron

It's pretty likely that your high mash temp got you the unfermentable sugars. The two enzymes work together to create the wort profile you want and if you mash too high you denature (kill) the beta amylase enzyme the breaks down the dextrines to fermentable sugars. Once the beta amylase is denatured there is no turning back.

Latest posts

Back