My attempt at a 20 gallon, future-prrof system with stout tanks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How did the temp probe turn out in the instrument tee? I ask because I have a similar scenario. I got my panel from eBrewsupply, and it came with 2.5" RTD probes. I bought the tees from Brewers Hardware, and assembled the RTD into a short TC x 1/2" NPT, hoping the probe was long enough - turns out, it's not... Looks the same as the pic you posted of your set up.

I'm considering picking up the TC standard length probes from Auber. But before I lay the money, I'd like to hear your thought of the set up you have, and if you'd change it.

Cheers!

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Finally got the email from Stout! Paid last night so hopefully they will be on there way soon. Anyone have some experience on shipping times? Sending them down to Southern California shouldn't take too long. Hopefully I'll have them before next weekend.

So just a small update if anyone is still following along:

-I just purchased a house with a two car garage that will house the brewing equipment in half of it.
-Just ran some 6-2 from my panel, so i will be able to fire both elements at once
-will be using a spa panel for gfci protection
-I sold off all of my PID stuff, will be going with the BCS to control it
-If you recall, I had two 2" element ports put in each pot in case I still had to use 110v elements. Obviously I don't now, so for the HLT and BK I will be mounting 2" BCS probes in the extra port. The MLT will be a probe at the input port on a tee.

I'll be sure to post some more pics as soon as the pots come, can't believe the 6 month wait is almost over. Which is good because the pipeline has less than 5 gallons remaining!

I know the first posts on the page are a bit old but as far as the bk conversation went, has anyone tryed the brewers hardware kettles they look very nice and the price as high as they are don't look very bad compared to other high end bk's

By the way, let me know how the BCS turns out.. been thinkin about changing up mine as well

I Know You Dont Like This BK But Its Far From Poorly Designed. The reason most of us are going with Stout Is they have sanitary fittings which are far superior to Blichman where you have To install holes everywhere and do a lot of things through the lid. If you buy Stout or Blichman you Plan To whirlpool And should know your going to lose some wort in Whirlpooling and Adjust For it in your recipe.

The reason most of us are going with Stout Is they have sanitary fittings which are far superior to Blichman where you have To install holes everywhere and do a lot of things through the lid.
Everyone will have their own reasons for choosing one manufacturer over the other, but I thought I'd clarify a few things: I often see people mention that sanitary fittings are "better" because they are (well) "sanitary" thus easier to keep clean.

It is true that they are easier to clean and less likely to harbor any sort of nasties, but people seem to forget that on the hot side of the brewing process (which is what the boil kettle/HLT/MLT are for) it doesn't make an ounce of difference as everything is boiled.

I myself purposely chose to *not* use sanitary fittings on the hot side (I use QDs) as I find them more work to use. You cannot quickly or easily disconnect/reconnect a hose with one hand when it uses sanitary fittings.

Cold side (fermentation) is a whole other ball of wax. The pro's of using sanitary fittings on the cold side far outweigh the pains of using them.

There is also no reason why you'd have to do specifically do things through the lid with Blichmann vs any other solution. If you can do through the wall with "kettle X" you can do the same with Blichmann. I don't go through the lid myself as that's a painful solution (IMHO) and I don't see why anyone else would have to.

My 2 cents!

Kal

Plus you completely remove the sanitary fitting aspect when your pumps and heat exchangers are connected via npt to triclover.

Not to get too far into the tri clamp vs. other fitting discussion because it is tired and documented well throughout this sight, but I really enjoy them on this setup. It is nice to have consistency throughout the pots and the conical for the ease of using different components for different purposes.

For example, using the trub filter from brewer's hardware before my plate chiller as well as when transferring from conical to kegs as a filter.

They are pricey and by no means a necessity, but for me it was a must atleast for the element adapters so that I could remove them to clean them easily. Bobby sells some great alternatives now that I probably would have entertained when designing this system.

Hose changes aren't as easy in process, which is why eventually I'll add a third pump and dedicate 1 pump per pot, which will also help during back to back brews.

Overall I am 3 batches in and love it. I almost have it dialed in and will post some pics soon.

Not to get too far into the tri clamp vs. other fitting discussion because it is tired and documented well throughout this sight, but I really enjoy them on this setup. It is nice to have consistency throughout the pots and the conical for the ease of using different components for different purposes.

For example, using the trub filter from brewer's hardware before my plate chiller as well as when transferring from conical to kegs as a filter.

They are pricey and by no means a necessity, but for me it was a must atleast for the element adapters so that I could remove them to clean them easily. Bobby sells some great alternatives now that I probably would have entertained when designing this system.

Hose changes aren't as easy in process, which is why eventually I'll add a third pump and dedicate 1 pump per pot, which will also help during back to back brews.

Overall I am 3 batches in and love it. I almost have it dialed in and will post some pics soon.

Do you have a link to the trub filter? I have 30-gallon stout tanks and I whirlpool for a while but would still like extra measure against plugging up my hex. I will be due for an acid wash of the hex after Thursday.

Back