My ale smells like vodka

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Booshman

Reaction score
I made a cream ale on the 19th and I checked on it today and it smells like straight liquor. I did my readings and it started at 43 and is now at a 5 on my barometer..... Whats up?

ahhh my wife said that my airlock looked low and she put vodka in the airlock cause she had heard that before....Is this my problem?

If you're sniffing around the airlock, yep. And yes, she's right. Vodka can make a great sanitizer for airlocks.

Chances are, the vodka evaporated out of the airlock. Chances of it going into the brew, in any amount to do anything, is extremely remote. You're probably smelling the vodka from the airlock, either from sniffing it directly, or having it close to the brew when you're sniffing it with the airlock/bung removed.

I think you might have bigger issues if you are using a barometer to check your gravity readings:D It's a HYDROMETER.....

yea that one, my bad..Its been a Long week, Hope everyone had as good of a thanksgiving as I did :)

yea that one, my bad..Its been a Long week, Hope everyone had as good of a thanksgiving as I did :)

Yeah, only had to "deal" with family for about 9 hours. :eek: Wasn't so bad until they got louder and louder (my niece and nephew, both in high school)... :drunk: I didn't drink since I had to drive back home.

Happy Gobble Gobble Bitches!!!

Back