My airlock fell off and i just noticed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schrub

Reaction score
Ok, so I just noticed that my airlock fell off and I'm sure its been close to a week from the last time I checked. I'm about a month and a half into the brew, what should I do?

Do I just recap it and let it go or do I need to dump it. I cant tell if its infected but its still slightly foamy on top, like a thin white foam film.

This is only my 3rd time brewing so im a bit new on this stuff.

Ok, so I just noticed that my airlock fell off and I'm sure its been close to a week from the last time I checked. I'm about a month and a half into the brew, what should I do?

Do I just recap it and let it go or do I need to dump it. I cant tell if its infected but its still slightly foamy on top, like a thin white foam film.

This is only my 3rd time brewing so im a bit new on this stuff.
Replace it and let it ride. Open fermenting is a thing. Only way to know if it's good or bad is to wait and see. You might want to consider using a blow off tube next time as well.

Agree on just replacing the airlock. No point in dumping it until you're absolutely sure it's a goner.

I would think if you're a month and a half in (6 weeks in the primary fermenter?) it's likely high time to consider bottling.

I would think if you're a month and a half in (6 weeks in the primary fermenter?) it's likely high time to consider bottling.

Even though it's not done? the past few times i've done it i just let it go till its complete, should i not do that?

Most beers only take 4-5 days to ferment down as much as they ever will. 6 weeks is crazy for primary fermentation.

Have you taken gravity readings to see what your FG is?

Only SG readings will tell you when the yeast have stopped converting sugar to alcohol.
Fermentation is typically finished in a week, with the caveats about certain (typ English) yeasts requiring "convincing" (swirling, temp rise, stirring) to finish. Then you want some "clean up time". For lighter beers, this is all done in 7-14 days. Heavier, imperial, etc, beers can be a couple weeks more, but heavier beers, like stew, will typically benefit from more "conditioning" time to allow flavors to meld. Barleywines, I have heard, can and should sit months. Given all that, I know nothing about what you're making, what the OG was, what yeast and temps you are using, so only the yeast can tell you when it's time, and that's done with Mr. Hydrometer.

Lmao, ahh ok

Does honey really take that long to ferment out? It’s always gone off like s rocket when I’ve done Braggot.

Honestly, no. Six weeks is not typical for ferment time, but certainly within reason if you're waiting for a mead to clear before bottling. I have a couple cysers that I started early November and they're just about clear enough now to be racked for aging.

I sometimes envy the beer guys for that.

Back