My $23 CO2 Solution For Mini Fridge Conditioning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NSMikeD

Reaction score
Let’s see how this works. My kegerator has room for just one keg. 2.5 gal torpedo kegs. I was purging and priming my kegs during conditioning before tapping (when the previous keg would run dry). Not bad for my initial venture into kegging. But I temperature woes a concern especially in the summer so I picked up another mini fridge off Craig’s list and connected that to a WillHi controller I had on a shelf and used it to ferment, age and cold crash beer before moving to be tapped.

97FB4C3A-6B6E-4794-AB6B-430863C358FB.jpeg

I was over carbonating trying to get the sugar and the initial CO2 right. I stopped priming and switched to an initial CO2 blast using my kegerator CO2 and then using a handheld CO2 cartridge with a trigger but not knowing the pressure in the keg I was still over doing it. My hopes were to use one of my soda stream canisters with a regulator (I fill those with dry ice for about a buck a canister for CO2) but alas the adaptor to connect it to a regulator that I was assure would work (even had the spec engraved on it) turned out to be milled wrong. A 5lb CO2 canister wouldn’t fit.

So, let’s see if this little gem will keep the pressure in the ballpark. I just need to keep enough CO2 to keep the seal tight and slightly carbonate, since the regulator on the tap will dial that in when I’m ready to drink. So far so good. The initial pressure was 25psi when I connected yesterday so I shut it off and itdown to 10psi today at 66*.

If the psi holds I assume I can take it off CO2.

PS. I cleaned the blow off spill on the fridge floor. :).

Back