My 1st Soda tonight.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mawil1013

Reaction score
Up Dated; Batch was made Sunday late morning, this afternoon (Monday) plastic bottles were hard. So into the fridge, but one I put into iced water at 5:30PM, opened at 7:20PM and fizzy as heck, so, a resounding success with my first batch. Later.....

Greetings, my 1st visit and first time made grape soda today. 1/2 gallon of grape juice and 1/2 gal. water, 3/4 cup sugar, 1/2 tsp. champagne yeast. Kept everything around 95°F during making of batch.

Bottled it around 11AM. My question is, I'm not certain of time to set into refrigerator. I used Mother Earth recipe, used some of the water to dissolve sugar in boiling water, used other water to proof yeast.

It seemed the instructions mention one to two days to carbonate. Is that about right. Oh and house ambient air temp around 72° F. Other than opening a bottle and or feeling taunted of bottle wall, Brest best way to determine batch is ready for fridge.

Thanks

How was the flavor of the batch? It looks like you used grape juice as your sole flavoring agent? Diluting the grape juice gave it enough flavor to taste like a proper grape soda, rather than just carbonated grape juice?

If so, I bet you could do the same with the different variations of grape and cranberry juice: Crangrape, Cranapple, Crancherry, etc.

Any sulfur​ flavor?
In my experience champagne yeast doesn't do too well in red grape juice without a yeast nutrient to avoid off flavors. Premiere Cuvee does a little better, but still sees benefit from the nutrient.

Back