Muted hop aroma and flavor - 2nd dry hop in keg to fix?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopHead73

Brewmaster at Jbyrd Brewing, Hophead
Reaction score
Brewed a clone of Deschutes Fresh Squeezed and scored at 41/50 and good reviews from the judges.
Have another comp next week so decided to try it again.
Felt that the first batch could have used a slight hop boost so I upped the whirlpool hops from 1oz of Citra and 1oz of Mosaic to 1.5 of each and for the dry hops upped it from 1oz Citra and 1oz Mosaic to 2oz of Citra and 1oz Mosaic for 4 days.

Kegged it last week and for some reason the hop aroma and flavor blast is more muted than the last batch.
Only thing I can really think that caused this is the freshness of the hops from the store.
Still not a bad IPA, but just missing what the first batch had and what the judges liked in terms of the hop flavor and aroma.

I was going to bottle it this Saturday to drop off for the contest next Wednesday.
Was thinking maybe of adding an 1 or 2 oz of Citra to a herb infuser ball and dropping it into the keg for 2-3 days for a 2nd dry hoppping to try to save it.

Any ideas about this? 1 or 2 oz of Citra?
Or would it be possible overkill and just don't worry?

Back