Musty Basement and Plastic . . .

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HABIT

Reaction score
Very much still a newb . . . I've helped brew a few batches at a friends place where I feel he does everything at inconsistant room temps. Sometimes a 10 degree difference up or down. He likes the dark full tasting brew and dont mind the suprises, I lean towards the crisp pale types and want consistancy . . . I'm stepping up and doing some at my house and heres MY concerns . . .
I have a basement with a wood burner that I use to heat my house during the winter. This can make temps go up and down drastically in any given room. My laundry room has 2 doors between the "heating room" and keeps the temps consistant. With only one door shut I have been getting 64 - 66 F. I have plans for a large walk in closet against an outside wall in the near future.
I brewed on new years eve and put it in the laundry room. The problem is after shutting the door after a couple days It got a VERY MOLDY smell in that room. No air circulation at all. The furnace is not being used and is not pullin air from that room and the sump pump always has that 1" of water in bottom of it. I have since moved in a dehumidifier to help out. But today it still has that smell and it may need a day of scrubbing the corners and floors with something bleach based. God knows it needs it :eek:
My concern is this . . . I've heard that the plastic can and or will soak smells into the brew and this is a great PRO for using glass carboys. I understand that I dont want a bag of onions or potatoes next to my bucket but what about the overall smell of the room it sits in ???
I plan on scrubbing everything and keeping a dehumidifier going 24-7. I understand that this is a leaning process with all the little bugs that need to be worked out.
I'm hitting a local brew club taste testing tonight with about 1000 questions and hopefully find a couple helpfull locals . . .
Should I use ALL GLASS next time . . . primary and secondary . . . can I get away with just glass for the secondary if its going to sit for a month or longer . . . What will happen if I try racking or bottling with the mold smell in the room.

TIA :mug:

I recommend the better bottle. It's not as permeable as regular plastic but is much more durable and lighter then glass.

I'm not a fan of secondary fermentation. I just let my brew finish in the primary and go straight to the keg (probably bottles in your case). If you must do a long term secondary then a smaller 5 gallon glass carboy is the way to go. The smaller size leaves no air space in the carboy and the glass is not permeable. With a long secondary you really have to worry about oxidation.

For controlling fermentation temps look at getting a cheap fridge off craigslist. I just picked up one for 30.00. Sometime you can find them for free when people upgrade thier kitchens and put the old fridge out on the street. Then you get a temp controller for the fridge and you can dial in the perfect consistent fermentation temps. Controlling the fermentation temp is a huge factor in making great beer.

With the short time (3+ weeks) that your beer is in there I doubt that it will make a difference. I can't imagine a "moldy smell" leeching through the plastic that quickly.

Thank's for the quick answers . . . I have a small empty freezer in the basement I've been scrubbing up . . . And very interested in the "KEEZERS" I've came across on here. . . I see a few soda kegs in my near future. :tank:

WYZAZZ
Thanks for the info . . . The more I read the more I learn . . .:mug:

When I get time I'll do a better introduction on myself complete with pics and my 12 month plan. . . everyone loves pics:)

I highly recommend using kegs. But you will undoubtedly want them on the main level so you don't have to run to the basement every time you want a beer.

Good Luck and Enjoy the ride!

No worries man, I was worrying about "silly" stuff just like you not too long ago. And I learn more every day I look at this forum.

Soda kegs are OK and seem to be the standard, but if you can get your hands on 1/6bbl Sanke kegs they work even better. I keg all my beer in Sanke kegs and couldn't be happier with it!

Latest posts

Back