Must go places in SD?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xdalisx

Reaction score
I am going to be in San Diego later this month (tagging along with the wife to her professions annual meetings). I will have a decent amount of free time with and without her so I was looking to put together a list of breweries / pubs etc to hit while I am there.

I already have plans to go to Stone. I was thinking Alesmith and Pizza Port, but those are the only others that I have heard of.

Anyone have any suggestions for must go places while I am there?

I have spent alot of time in sd I have family that plays on the chargers and have been too many a spots but no brew pubs or breweries but I would like to suggest to you going to "balast point brewery" they make excellent beers I live in nor cal and drinking that brew is a treat. Calico amber is awsome as well as the sculpin! If you have a chance and your in old town go to the " yard house" excellent variety of local brews served in either half of full yard glasses.. Awsome.. Also I recommend Freds it's a tequila bar with great Mexican food! Cheers and good luck go Boltz!

Alpine! Alpine! Go to Alpine! Though it is a bit of a drive (35 minutes from downtown). I've never been to Alesmith, but all of their beers are amazing (Speedway Stout, of course) so I can't say why you shouldn't go there instead of Alpine. If you want to buy some local beer to take home with you, I always recommend http://bestdamnbeershop.com/ for grabbing some bottles. They are also a homebrew shop and they currently have simcoe, citra, and nelson hops along with a bunch of other stuff. And no I am not affiliated by them nor paid by them to say that.

I have spent alot of time in sd I have family that plays on the chargers and have been too many a spots but no brew pubs or breweries but I would like to suggest to you going to "balast point brewery" they make excellent beers I live in nor cal and drinking that brew is a treat. Calico amber is awsome as well as the sculpin! If you have a chance and your in old town go to the " yard house" excellent variety of local brews served in either half of full yard glasses.. Awsome.. Also I recommend Freds it's a tequila bar with great Mexican food! Cheers and good luck go Boltz!

I work in Old Town SD and there is no where called "yard house" you are probably thinking of O'Hungry's. If you are in Old Town, come to my restaurant, Miguel's. We have pretty damn good food, and of course our infamous jalapeno cheese sauce (basically spicy queso that is free with your chips). I'd like to say our beer selection is good/great but right now the best 2 things we have on draught are Karl Strauss Red Trolley (pretty good, we used to have their IPA but we got rid of it to replace with Ballast Point's Sculpin) and Ballast Point Pale Ale (also pretty good, but we are trying to get rid of it so we can replace it with Sculpin).

Huh musta been pretty sauced.. then where the heck is the yard house haha anyways yes sculpin is killer..I think I've been to your place on an old town bar crawl.. I use to frequent kellys aswell Irish pub with no good Irish dink except for bushmills ...haha but met some cool people their...cheers

I work in Old Town SD and there is no where called "yard house" you are probably thinking of O'Hungry's.

There is, actually. ;)

http://www.yardhouse.com/CA/san-diego-restaurant/

I made that spot a monthly pilgrimage when I lived in Carlsbad. Never had a beer there I didn't like, and it's basically in the middle of the Gaslamp, so proximity to some of the best clubs in CA is another plus (if you're into the club-life, of course).

Other must see-spots:
-Stone (dur!)
-Pizza Port. Would highly recommend the one in Carlsbad.
-Mission Brewing (if you're going downtown)
-For pubs, I loved Penny Lane in San Marcos.
-Hydrobrew in Oceanside if you want to check out one of the best homebrew shops in the county. (Plus the guys that work/own the place are a riot.)

Karl Strauss is a fantastic restraunt/brewery and i'd highly recommend any of their 4 locations. Take the wife out for a nice dinner and you won't be disappointed. Another one i've been going to alot lately is san diego beer co in downtown.
You can't go wrong with any of the pizza port locations, alesmith, green flash or ballast point.
There are numerous great pubs in the area but some of the stand out's in my opinion are gonna be churchills, o'briens and blind lady ale house.

Here's a list of all (or just about) of sd's brewery's: http://www.westcoastersd.com/sd-brewing-industry-watch-2012/

Thanx for verifying I wasn't totally smashed I knew I been their we have a yard house here in san jose aswell thanx for droppin some more spots to hit I'll be their..!cheers!....

Kansas City Barbecue

why? you might ask....

well Top Gun had a couple scenes filmed here

that should be reason enough! if you dont appreciate that then theres no help for you hahaha

but i went to SD last summer for the first time in about 8 years and had to go there.

its just a typical bbq place good food but if you love top gun then you need to check this place out

For pubs Churchill's, Pizza Port Carlsbad, and Encinitas Ale House can't be beat in North County and Toronado, O'Briens, Small Bar, and Blind Lady Ale House are some good spots in the downtown area.

I'd honestly recommend visiting Port Brewery instead of Stone if you're in that area. Stone is pretty and all but the last four times I went they were out of my first 3 choices and they gouge you with prices and pour sizes.

Back